Binomial as a sum of tetranomials

In summary, Mathman has found a way to calculate the number of different species that can be created from two different species when looked at as 'dimer'. This is done by counting the amount of combinations of ww, wb, bw, and bb such that the number of ws and bs stay constant.
goofball
Hello there,

I'm working on a kinetic theory of mixing between two species - b and w.

Now, if I want to calculate the number of different species B bs and W ws can form, I can use a simple combination:

(W+B)!/(W!B!)

Now, in reality in my system, ws and bs form dimers - ww, bb, wb and bw (since orientation matters).

The number of species we can build with these is

(ww+wb+bw+bb)!/(ww!wb!bw!bb!) summed over all possible combinations of ww, wb, bw and bb such that the number of ws and bs stays constant.

I have proved this numerically for up to b=100 and w=100, which in reality is all I care about, but I am interested if there is a general proof for this, and how you would go around it.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description is a little unclear. Could you explicitly show the equation you are trying to prove.

Hi hi! Thanks for your reply, mathman.

It's all a bit confusing, I know. In my original problem, I had W white subunits and B black subunits, and when I wanted to look at the number of different combinations I could add them together, that would be
[itex]\frac{(W+B)!}{W!B!}[/itex]

Now, as my next problem, I for multiple reasons have to treat these as 'dimer' - that is - units consisting of two 'subunits'. This means I can get white-white, white-black, black-white, and black-black dimers (white-black and black-white are different because I care about their orientation..)

Now, when I wan to calculate then number of different combinations of these, I am effectively counting

[itex]\frac{(ww+wb+bw+bb)!}{ww!wb!bw!bb!}[/itex] summed over all the possible combinations of ww, wb, bw and bb such that w and b stays constant.

A practical example - let's say B = 2 and W = 2,

in this case [itex]\frac{(W+B)!}{W!B!} = \frac{(2+2)!}{2!2!} = 6[/itex]

Now, if we treat them as dimers, we have 4 different scenarios:

1) ww = 1, bb = 1

number of combinations is [itex]\frac{(ww+wb+bw+bb)!}{ww!wb!bw!bb!}=\frac{(1+0+0+1)!}{1!0!0!1!}= 2[/itex]

2) wb = 2, bw = 0

number of combinations is [itex]\frac{(ww+wb+bw+bb)!}{ww!wb!bw!bb!}=\frac{(0+2+0+0)!}{0!1!0!0!}= 1[/itex]

3) wb = 1, bw = 1

number of combinations is [itex]\frac{(ww+wb+bw+bb)!}{ww!wb!bw!bb!}=\frac{(0+1+1+0)!}{0!1!1!0!}= 2[/itex]

4) wb = 0 bw = 2

number of combinations is [itex]\frac{(ww+wb+bw+bb)!}{ww!wb!bw!bb!}=\frac{(0+0+2+0)!}{0!0!2!0!}= 1[/itex]

All of these sum to 6 which is the same result as from [itex]\frac{(W+B)!}{W!B!}[/itex].

This all actually intuitively makes sense, and I have proved this computationally from any arbitrary number of W and B, but was wondering if there was a mathematical proof for this for any general B and W (such that B+W is even so that we can form perfect dimers...)

Thanks again!

Your example is confusing. What is the relationship of W and B to ww, bb, wb, and bw? I don't understand why W+B isn't equal to ww+bb+wb+bw.

1. What is a binomial as a sum of tetranomials?

A binomial as a sum of tetranomials is a mathematical expression that consists of two terms, with each term being a sum of four terms. It is a type of polynomial expression that is commonly used in algebraic equations.

2. How is a binomial as a sum of tetranomials different from a regular binomial?

A binomial as a sum of tetranomials is different from a regular binomial in that it has four terms in each term, whereas a regular binomial only has two terms. This means that a binomial as a sum of tetranomials is a more complex expression that can be expanded and simplified to reveal more information.

3. What is the purpose of using a binomial as a sum of tetranomials?

The purpose of using a binomial as a sum of tetranomials is to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. By breaking down a binomial into four terms, it becomes easier to manipulate and solve equations involving this type of expression.

4. Can a binomial as a sum of tetranomials be factored?

Yes, a binomial as a sum of tetranomials can be factored. In fact, factoring is often used to simplify and solve equations involving this type of expression. By factoring, we can break down the expression into smaller, simpler terms that are easier to work with.

5. How is a binomial as a sum of tetranomials used in real-world applications?

Binomial as a sum of tetranomials is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. In finance, it can be used to model investment returns over time. In physics, it can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces. In engineering, it can be used to solve complex equations involving multiple variables.