Understanding the Binomial Coefficient through Generating Functions

In summary, the binomial coefficient can be derived via a generating function approach. The author provides an example of how it would work and how to understand why it works.
foxjwill
[SOLVED] Binomial Coefficient

Homework Statement

I'm reading the textbook http://www.math.upenn.edu/~wilf/DownldGF.html" , and in section 1.5, the author explains how to derive the binomial coefficient via a generating function approach.

One of the things he mentions as obvious, isn't (at least to me). Maybe it's just because it's morning and I'm not thinking correctly, but anyway, here's what it is:

"Suppose [tex]f(n,k)[/tex] is the answer to the question [the binomial coefficient]. We imagine that the collection of all possible subsets of [tex]k[/tex] of these [tex]n[/tex] objects are in front of us, and we will divide them into two piles. In the first pile we put all of those subsets that do contain the object `[tex]n[/tex]', and into the second pile we put all subsets that do not contain `[tex]n[/tex]'. The first of these piles obviously contains [tex]f(n-1, k-1)[/tex] subsets. The second pile contains [tex]f(n-1, k)[/tex] subsets." (bold added by me)​
(bold added by me).

I don't really understand, conceptually, why he splits the piles like he does. Any help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the established binomial coefficient, and it works out and all, but that didn't help me understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He's trying to suggest how to find f(n,k) if you know all of the values of f(n-1,...). He does this by imagining removing an object ni from the set leaving n-1 objects to choose from. Now imagine how this affects the sets that f(n,k) is counting. If the set did not contain the ni to begin with, it remains unchanged (so there are f(n-1,k) of them). If the set did contain the ni, then it's size drops to k-1 (so there are f(n-1,k-1) of them).

Oh. That makes sense. Thanks so much!

What is a binomial coefficient?

A binomial coefficient, also known as a choose function, is a mathematical concept used to represent the number of ways to choose a subset of items from a larger set without regard to the order of selection. It is denoted by the symbol "n choose k" or nCk and is calculated using the formula n!/((n-k)!k!), where n is the total number of items and k is the number of items being chosen.

What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used to encode a sequence of numbers into a single function. It can be used to represent combinatorial structures, such as binomial coefficients, in a more compact and efficient way. Generating functions are typically expressed as power series, where the coefficients of each term represent the values in the sequence.

How do generating functions help with understanding binomial coefficients?

Generating functions provide a powerful way to manipulate and analyze binomial coefficients. By representing binomial coefficients as terms in a generating function, we can use algebraic operations to derive useful properties and relationships between them. Additionally, generating functions allow us to extend the concept of binomial coefficients to more complex scenarios, such as negative and non-integer values of n and k.

What are some applications of understanding the binomial coefficient through generating functions?

Generating functions and binomial coefficients have various applications in mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They are commonly used in probability theory, combinatorics, and number theory to solve problems involving counting and probability. In computer science, they are used in the analysis of algorithms and in the design of efficient data structures. They also have applications in physics, biology, and economics.

Are there any limitations to using generating functions for understanding binomial coefficients?

While generating functions provide a powerful tool for understanding binomial coefficients, they may not always be the most efficient or intuitive method. In some cases, it may be more practical to use other methods, such as direct calculation or combinatorial reasoning. Additionally, generating functions may not be suitable for every problem involving binomial coefficients, and alternative approaches may be necessary for specific scenarios.