1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial coefficient

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate
    [tex]{-3 \choose 0}[/tex], [tex]{-3 \choose 1}[/tex], [tex]{-3 \choose 2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    In case of integer ##n## and ##k##
    [tex]{ n \choose k}=\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}=\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k+1)}{k!} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to calculate this. Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've never worked with such things, but I believe binomial coefficients can be extended to noninteger and negative arguments by using the gamma function instead of factorials. Google it.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    Yes but gamma function diverge for integer negative values. So ##\Gamma(-3)=(-4)!=\infty##

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you avoid that by some cancellation? You will have negative arguments in gamma functions both in the numerator and the denominator.

6. Jul 8, 2015 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The limit ##\lim_{x\to n}\frac{\Gamma(x+1)} {\Gamma(k+1)\Gamma(x-k+1)}## can exist even if ##n## is negative. Try it with Wolfram Alpha.

7. Jul 8, 2015 #6
    Not sure. For example ##{-3 \choose 0}=\frac{(-3)!}{0!(-3-0)!}=1##. This is OK. But in case ##{-3 \choose 1}=\frac{(-3)!}{(-4)!}=\frac{\Gamma(-2)}{\Gamma(-3)}=\frac{-3\Gamma(-3)}{\Gamma(-3)}=-3##
    I think this is OK. Tnx :)

8. Jul 16, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The standard _definition_ of ##{n \choose k}## for non-negative integer ##k## and general real ##n## is given by the second formula you wrote in Post #1 (i.e., the formula that does not involve ##n!## or ##(n-k)!##). Sometimes that formula can be expressed in terms of Gamma functions, and sometimes not.

Using that definition we obtain
    [tex] {-m \choose k} = (-1)^k {m+k-1 \choose k} [/tex]
    for integers ##m,k \geq 0##.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted