Proving Binomial Coefficients for Even n | Combinatorial Argument

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to proving the equality of two summations involving binomial coefficients. The first problem involves using a combinatorial argument to prove that \sum_{k= 0}^{n/2}C(n, 2k)= 2^{n-1}, and the second problem involves proving that \sum_{k=0}^{n/2} C(n, 2k-1)= 2^{n-1}. The conversation also mentions using the formula C(n, 2k)= C(n-1,2k)-C(n-1, 2k-1) to solve the first problem and the use of a substitution to solve the second problem.
jbear12
Suppose n is even, prove:
[tex]\sum[/tex]k=0->n/2, C(n,2k)=2^(n-1)=[tex]\sum[/tex]k=1->n/2, C(n,2k-1)
Give a combinatorial argument to prove that: (I've figured out this one...)
[tex]\sum[/tex]k=1->n, C(n,k)^2=C(2n,n)

For the first problem, I tried to break C(n, 2k) into C(n+1,2k)-C(n, 2k-1), but they didnt seem to work very well. (I also noticed that [tex]\sum[/tex]0, n C(n,2k)=2^n, but I can't really use this to solve the problem.)
For the second problem, I don't have a clue.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to prove that, for n even, [itex]\sum_{k= 0}^{n/2}C(n, 2k)= 2^{n-1}[/itex] and that [itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n/2} C(n, 2k-1)= 2^{n-1}[/itex]

You think mean you have tried to use C(n, 2k)= C(n-1,2k)-C(n-1, 2k-1) . That works nicely! If you take i= 2k, That just says C(n, i)= C(n-1, i)+ C(n-1, i) and your sum is [itex]\sum_{k= 0}^{n/2}C(n, 2k)= \sum_{i= 0}^n C(n-1, i)= 2^{n-1}[/itex]!

For the second one, let i= 2k-1.

HallsofIvy said:
You want to prove that, for n even, [itex]\sum_{k= 0}^{n/2}C(n, 2k)= 2^{n-1}[/itex] and that [itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n/2} C(n, 2k-1)= 2^{n-1}[/itex]

You think mean you have tried to use C(n, 2k)= C(n-1,2k)-C(n-1, 2k-1) . That works nicely! If you take i= 2k, That just says C(n, i)= C(n-1, i)+ C(n-1, i) and your sum is [itex]\sum_{k= 0}^{n/2}C(n, 2k)= \sum_{i= 0}^n C(n-1, i)= 2^{n-1}[/itex]!

For the second one, let i= 2k-1.
Thanks HallsofIvy.
But I don't get it how you get from C(n, 2k)= C(n-1,2k)-C(n-1, 2k-1) to C(n, i)= C(n-1, i)+ C(n-1, i). Taking i=2k, why is C(n-1,i-1) equal to -C(n-1,i).
Also, why is [itex]\sum_{i= 0}^n C(n-1, i)= 2* \sum_{i= 0}^{n/2} C(n-1, i)[/itex]

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are mathematical expressions used to represent the number of ways that a combination of items can be selected from a larger group. They are also known as binomial coefficients or binomial coefficients.

2. How are binomial coefficients calculated?

Binomial coefficients are calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of items in a group and r is the number of items selected from that group. This formula can also be represented as nCr = n choose r.

3. What is the significance of binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are significant because they are used in various fields of mathematics, such as combinatorics, probability, and algebra. They also have practical applications in computer science, engineering, and statistics.

4. Can binomial coefficients be negative?

No, binomial coefficients cannot be negative. They always result in a positive number, representing the number of possible combinations of items without repetition.

5. How are binomial coefficients related to Pascal's triangle?

Binomial coefficients are related to Pascal's triangle as each row of the triangle represents the coefficients for a specific power of a binomial expression. The coefficients can be read from the triangle by following the diagonal patterns.