1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Coefficients

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    k, maybe wrong forum... whatever...

Anyway, so i was hoping someone could maybe derive or at least explain binomial coefficients. Like, i know that binomial(n,r)= n!/(n-r)!r! but why? in class the guy was explaining something like, if you're counting, and you're trying to arrange 3 balls into 2 groups then its like...

|1 2 3
    1|2 3
    1 2|3
    1 2 3|

and that because of that, it was like, the formula we'd use for this problem would be binomial(n+r-1, r-1), and then we plug that into the factorial problem... and voila... but, i dunno. this didn't make sense to me at all. we introduce a divider, and we derive some formula for it... and... eh...

so, i see how the method was convienient, but i think there must be some more formal way of going about it. soo...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2
    Okay, first we need to know that the set of all n-permutations of n objects (arrangements of all n objects) contains n! elements. It is easy enough to see this from the multiplication principle of counting. You can then derive the expression for all k-permutations of n objects where k is between n and 0 as n!/(n-k)!. This can be derived in an in situ fashion. Suppose x is the number of k-permutations. Then by the multiplication principle x*(n-k)! = n!, so we have x = n!/(n-k)!. (LHS explanation: x counts permutations of k things. Next, we permute n-k things for each permutation x counts. This is the same as the amount of permutations of n things.) This is the method we shall use to get the form for combinations.
    Suppose you have a set of n objects. Let x be the number of k-combinations of n objects, where k is between n and 0. If we were to then count the k-permutations of these k objects, we should then have a number equivalent to k-permutations of the original n objects. Now each object in the set of combinations has k! permutations, so we have the equation k!*x = n!/(n-k)!, which we solve to get the familiar x = n!/[k!(n-k)!].

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
  5. Sep 27, 2005 #4
    You can look at it as a heads and tails situation. (H+T)(H+T) = HH+HT+TH+TT = H^2+2HT+T^2; which give us all of the four outcomes from flipping a series of heads and tails. This can all be repeated for the nth power, (H+T)^n. These are known, by the way, as Bernoulli trials.

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5
    Uh, I am sorry, I am posting a question in this thread, but it's realted to binomial coeffecients. The question is that there exists an important result that (rootA + B)to the power n = I + f ( I - integral value, f - fractional part ). From this we get the value of (A + Bsquare)to the power n = K to the power n. Then, it is explained for n as odd and even integer separately.
    I have not got this one clearly. Can someone plz explain this to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?