Proving Binomial Distribution Expected Value & Variance

In summary, the conversation discusses attempting to prove that for a binomial random variable, the expected value is equal to NP and the variance is equal to NP(1-P). The individual explains their approach using the definition of expectation and offers a suggestion for calculating the variance.
Yulia_sch
hello,

i need to prive that for a binomial r.v X E[X]=NP and VAR(X)=NP(1-P).

I tried to prove it using the deffinition of expectation:

E[x]=[tex]\sum xi \stackrel{N}{i} p^{i}(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]

now what?

thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yulia_sch said:
hello,

i need to prive that for a binomial r.v X E[X]=NP and VAR(X)=NP(1-P).

I tried to prove it using the deffinition of expectation:

E[x]=[tex]\sum xi \stackrel{N}{i} p^{i}(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]

now what?

thanks...
E[x]=[tex]\sum xi \stackrel{N}{i} p^{i}(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex] is incorrect. Should be:
E[x]=[tex]\sum i \stackrel{N}{i} p^{i}(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]

For the second moment replace i by i2.

One more comment: to help with the variance, instead of calculating

[tex]
E[X] = \sum i^2 \binom{N}{i} p^i (1-p)^{n-i}
[/tex]

calculating

[tex]
E[X (X-1)] = \sum i(i-1) \binom{N}{i} p^i (1-p)^{n-i}
[/tex]

will make the algebra required to work with the summation simpler.

Since

[tex]
E[X(X-1)] = E[X^2] - E[X]
[/tex]

this, and the mean, will allow you to find the variance.

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value of a binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating the expected value of a binomial distribution is: E(X) = np, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success in each trial.

2. How do you prove that the expected value of a binomial distribution is np?

To prove that the expected value of a binomial distribution is np, you can use the definition of expected value and the binomial probability distribution function. By taking the sum of all possible outcomes and their respective probabilities, you will arrive at the formula E(X) = np.

3. What is the relationship between the expected value and variance of a binomial distribution?

The variance of a binomial distribution is equal to np(1-p), where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success in each trial. This means that the variance is directly proportional to the expected value. As the expected value increases, so does the variance.

4. How do you prove that the variance of a binomial distribution is np(1-p)?

To prove that the variance of a binomial distribution is np(1-p), you can use the definition of variance and the binomial probability distribution function. By taking the sum of all possible outcomes and their respective probabilities multiplied by the squared difference between each outcome and the expected value, you will arrive at the formula np(1-p).

5. What is the practical significance of the expected value and variance in a binomial distribution?

The expected value and variance in a binomial distribution are important measures for describing the central tendency and variability of a set of binomial data. They can be used to make predictions about future outcomes, assess the reliability of a process, and compare different groups or treatments in an experiment.