1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial discrete?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Ok, so after a little discussion with my discrete math teacher today, he sent me on a little "quest". Here is how it happened:

The topic we were covering was set theory, and as I had been studying very basic combinatorics the night before, I noticed something about the powerset, namely:

Assuming a set S with n elements:

|P(S)|=2^n

however, if S has n elements, and the powerset is compose of S's subsets, then:

|P(S)|= C(n,0)+C(n,1)...+C(n,n)

so

C(n,0)+C(n,1)...+C(n,n)=2^n

so

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=0}(\stackrel{n}{i})=2^n[/tex]

I asked about this after class, and he said the binomial theorem could be derived through this identity, I sort of see how, but I doubt the corectness of these ways. Does anybody know about a way to go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    If you mean how to prove this identity, induction would do a fine job.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    I guess what I really meant was, is there any step you can see that can be taken to get from:

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=0}\left(\stackrel{n}{i}\right)=2^n[/tex]

to

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=0}\left(\stackrel{n}{i}\right)x^{n-i}*y^{i}=(x+y)^{n}[/tex]

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The other way is easy: let x= y= 1. I don't see how, just from the first, you can get to the second: the second contains "more information" than the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook