Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial discrete?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Ok, so after a little discussion with my discrete math teacher today, he sent me on a little "quest". Here is how it happened:

The topic we were covering was set theory, and as I had been studying very basic combinatorics the night before, I noticed something about the powerset, namely:

Assuming a set S with n elements:

however, if S has n elements, and the powerset is compose of S's subsets, then:

|P(S)|= C(n,0)+C(n,1)...+C(n,n)

I asked about this after class, and he said the binomial theorem could be derived through this identity, I sort of see how, but I doubt the corectness of these ways. Does anybody know about a way to go about this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    If you mean how to prove this identity, induction would do a fine job.
  4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    I guess what I really meant was, is there any step you can see that can be taken to get from:

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The other way is easy: let x= y= 1. I don't see how, just from the first, you can get to the second: the second contains "more information" than the first.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?