Binomial distribution.

In summary, the probability of getting an even result when tossing a fair coin 491 times is equal to 1/2. This can be proven using the binomial distribution equation and the fact that the probability of heads or tails is equal on each flip. Therefore, the probability of the total number of heads being even, odd, or the total number of tails being even, odd are all the same.
damightytom

Homework Statement

A fair coin is tossed 491 times. The total number of heads or tails is then even or uneven.

Is the probability that the head will result in an even result equal to 1/2
Motivate your answer with a strict mathematical proof.

Homework Equations

I am having some trouble grasping the solution of this.
Im struggleing on the finish line and I could use some help.

First thing I would like to get help with is to understand how I can calculate the this sum.
I might be able to continue on proving the end goal myself but at this moment I'm pretty stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since there's a 1/2 chance for each toss.
You can use the binomial distribution equation to find the sum of all the probably outcomes that heads will be even.

p = (0.5)^n [itex]\sum[/itex] {k=0,2,4,6,8,...,490} C(n,k) * 0.5^n * 0.5^(n-k)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the probability of head or tails is equal on each flip, the probability that the total number of heads is even, the total number of heads is odd, the total number of tails is even, and the total number of tails is odd are all the same- call that "p". Since further, if the total number of heads is even, then the total number of tails must be odd, we must have p+ p= 2p= 1.

1. What is a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure) and the probability of success remains constant throughout all trials.

2. How is a binomial distribution different from a normal distribution?

A binomial distribution deals with discrete data, where the outcomes can only be whole numbers, while a normal distribution deals with continuous data. Additionally, the shape of a binomial distribution is skewed and has a finite range, while a normal distribution is symmetric and has an infinite range.

3. What is the formula for calculating the probability in a binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating the probability in a binomial distribution is: P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial.

4. Can a binomial distribution be used for non-binary data?

No, a binomial distribution is specifically designed for binary data, where there are only two possible outcomes. If the data has more than two possible outcomes, a different distribution, such as a multinomial distribution, should be used.

5. How is a binomial distribution used in real-life applications?

A binomial distribution is commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and psychology to model outcomes that have two possible outcomes, such as success and failure. It can also be used to analyze the results of surveys or experiments with a yes or no question.