1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Expansion For Rational Index . Please help

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Hi

I wanted to know what is the expansion of (1+x)^n when n is a rational number and |x|<1 ...
    Please let me know as soon as possible..

Thanks for your help
    Sincerely
    Sparsh

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex](1+x)^{n} = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{1\cdot 2}x^{2} + ... + \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{1\cdot 2 ... r}x^{r}[/tex]

Where [itex]|x|<1[/itex] and n is any real number. This can be derived from the general binomial expansion of [itex](a+b)^n[/itex].

Regards,
    ~Hoot

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you know that, for n a positive integer
    [tex](1+ x)^n= 1+ nx+ ... + _nC_i x^i+ ...[/tex]
    where
    [tex]_nC_i= \frac{n!}{i!(n-i)!}= \frac{n(n-1)...(n-i+1)}{i!}[/tex]
    For n a rational number, basically the same formula is true. Only now [itex]_nC_i[/itex] is never 0 so we get an infinite sum.

For example, if n= 1/2 then [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_1= \frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_2= \frac{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}-1)}{2}= -\frac{1}{8}[/itex], [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_3= \frac{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}-1)(\frac{1}{2}-2)}{6}= \frac{1}{16}[/itex], etc. so that
    [tex](1+ x)^{\frac{1}{2}}= 1+ \frac{1}{2}x-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ \frac{1}{16}x^4-...[/tex]
    exactly as you would get from the Taylor's series.

5. Apr 19, 2006 #4
    Thanks to both .
    The post by HallsofIvy was particularly useful .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?