1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion validity

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/core-maths/sequences-series/binomial/formula/validity/tutorial-1.php [Broken]

On the above video, he states that the binomial expansion is only valid for |a| < 1 when n is not a positive integer. I understand that when n is not a positive integer the expansion will be infinite as no coefficient will ever be 0, however I don't understand why |a|< 1 ? What if a was 2, the expansion would still be valid no?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a is not between -1 and 1, the series will not converge. Remember, n is fixed. The convergence will be dependent on a.

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    How is it dependent on a? Is it similar to infinite geometric series where |r| < 1, where r is the common ratio?

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it would not. If a > 1 the expansion is not valid; if a < -1 the expansion is not valid. Try it for yourself: take n = 1/2 and write out a few of the terms for a = 2 and for a = -2. Note that for a = -2 we have (1+a)^(1/2) = sqrt(-1) = i, the pure imaginary, but all the terms in the binomial expansion are real.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook