Binomial Expansion: Coeff. of x^n in (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2

In summary, you can use the binomial theorem to express (1+x)^n as \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n \left[1+\left(1+2x\right)\right]^n and then let u=1+2x to rewrite \frac{\left(1+x\right)^n}{\left(1+2x\right)^2} as \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\frac{\left(1+u\right)^n}{u^2}. Using the binomial theorem for the numerator, the coefficient of x^n in the expansion is \left(-1\right)^n\left(2n+1\right).
whkoh
By writing [itex](1+x)[/itex] as [tex]\frac{1}{2}\left[1+\left( 1+2x\right) \right][/tex] or otherwise, show that the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] in the expansion of [itex]\frac{\left(1+x\right)^n}{\left(1+2x\right)^2}[/itex] in ascending powers of x is [itex]\left(-1\right)^n\left(2n+1\right)[/itex].
--
I've tried expressing [itex](1+x)^n[/itex] as [tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n \left[1+\left(1+2x\right)\right]^n[/itex], so as factor out (1+2x)
[tex]\frac{\left(1+x\right)^n}{\left(1+2x\right)^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\left({\frac{1}{2}}\right)^n \left[1+\left(1+2x\right)\right]^n}{\left( 1+2x \right)^2}[/tex]
but I'm stuck after that.. Can I have a hint? I'm not sure how to write the general term of [itex]\left[1+\left(1+2x\right)\right]^n[/itex]: I get [itex]\frac{n!}{n!}\left(-1\right)^n x^n[/itex]
Can someone point me in the right way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered letting u= 1+ 2x so that
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\frac{\left(1+\left(1+2x\right)\right)^n}{\left(1+2x\right)^2}= \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\frac{\left(1+u\right)^n}{u^2}[/tex]
and then using the binomial theorem for the numerator?

Sure, here's a hint to help you continue:
Try using the binomial theorem to expand the term \left[1+\left(1+2x\right)\right]^n. This will give you a sum of terms, each with a coefficient and a power of x. Then, you can use the term with the power of x that you're interested in (x^n) to find the coefficient of x^n in the overall expansion. Don't forget to also consider the coefficient of x^n in the denominator (since we're dividing by (1+2x)^2).

1. What is the formula for finding the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2?

The formula for finding the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 is n+1 choose n, or (n+1)!/n! = n+1.

2. How is the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 related to the binomial theorem?

The binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 is a specific case of the binomial theorem, which states that for any real numbers a and b and any positive integer n, the expansion of (a+b)^n is given by (n choose 0)a^n + (n choose 1)a^(n-1)b + (n choose 2)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + (n choose n)b^n.

3. Can the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 ever be negative?

No, the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 can never be negative. This is because all the terms in the expansion have a positive coefficient and there is no way for them to cancel out to result in a negative coefficient for x^n.

4. How can the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 be used in real-life applications?

The binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2 can be used in financial applications, such as compound interest calculations, as well as in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring.

5. Is there a shortcut method for finding the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2?

Yes, there is a shortcut method called the Pascal's Triangle method for finding the coefficient of x^n in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n/(1+2x)^2. This method involves creating a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it, and the coefficients of x^n can be found by looking at the nth row of the triangle.