1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem and solution are attached above. Firstly, why is the expansion valid for (mod x/(1+x)) < 1, and not just for mod(x)<1?

Also, I do not understand how from (mod x/(1+x)) < 1 , the value of x>-0.5 comes about. Why greater than 0.5, and not less than 0.5?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For [itex](a+b)^n[/itex] where n is fractional or negative, is valid for |b/a|<1.

For the question, 'b' in this case is x/(1+x) and 'a' is 1

so | x/(x+1) |<1

But you must also remember that |X|<1 means -1<X<1 i.e. X<1 and X>-1

so for the question you'd need to take each case of x/(x+1) <1 and find where that is valid for and find where x/(x+1)>-1 and find the "intersection" of both those sets of values if you understand what I am saying.

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3
    Hi Thanks alot for the help. The final answer is (1 + x)^2, therefore should it not just be l X l <1? Why is it l (x/(1+x)) l < 1 , which is an intermediate step.

Thanks

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

As I said before

For [itex](a+b)^n[/itex] where n is fractional or negative, is valid for |b/a|<1.

For the question, 'b' in this case is x/(1+x) and 'a' is 1

so | x/(x+1) |<1

and this means that

[tex] -1< \frac{x}{x+1}<1[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?