Understanding the Binomial Expansion and its Relationship to e^p

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the series 1+p+p^2/2!+p^3/3!+... and e^p, with one person suggesting the use of the binomial theorem and taking the limit to prove this relationship. The other person asks for a proof and provides a link to Taylor's theorem as a possible explanation.
thereddevils
How is

[tex]1+p+\frac{p^2}{2!}+\frac{p^3}{3!}+...=e^p[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it has to do with taylor expansions, but I've never studied this so I can't answer your question. I'd also like to see a proof for this so this is like some pointless post I'm making so I can subscribe to this thread :biggrin:

Depends how you define e^p. You could just define it as the power series. However, I'm assuming you are using something like...

[tex]
e^p = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1 + \frac{p}{n})^n
[/tex]

Try using the binomial theorem on the right side, then take the limit.

thereddevils said:
How is

[tex]1+p+\frac{p^2}{2!}+\frac{p^3}{3!}+...=e^p[/tex] ?

Mentallic said:
I know it has to do with taylor expansions, but I've never studied this so I can't answer your question. I'd also like to see a proof for this so this is like some pointless post I'm making so I can subscribe to this thread :biggrin:

You just show the remainder upon approximating it with the first n terms goes to zero as n --> infinity. See, for example,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem

1. What is the binomial expansion?

The binomial expansion is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand (a + b)^n, where n is a non-negative integer, into a series of terms. It is used to simplify polynomial expressions and to solve problems involving combinations and probabilities.

2. What is the relationship between the binomial expansion and e^p?

The binomial expansion is related to e^p through the general term of the expansion, which is given by (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k. This general term can be rewritten as (n choose k) * (a/b)^k * b^n-k. As n approaches infinity, (a/b)^k approaches e^p, which is why the binomial expansion is often used to approximate e^p.

3. How is the binomial expansion used in probability?

The binomial expansion is used in probability to calculate the probability of getting a certain number of successes in a series of trials. The expansion allows us to calculate the number of possible outcomes for a given number of successes, which is then divided by the total number of possible outcomes to obtain the probability.

4. Can the binomial expansion be used for non-integer powers?

Yes, the binomial expansion can be used for non-integer powers using the generalized binomial theorem. This theorem extends the expansion to include real or complex exponents, and it is often used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of the binomial expansion?

The binomial expansion has many applications in fields such as statistics, finance, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of coin flips, to approximate compound interest in financial investments, and to model the trajectory of a projectile in physics.