1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    How do you expand and simplify [tex](1 + \sqrt\frac{2}{n-1})^n[/tex]?

I know this involves a binomial expansion and I can expand it to look something like

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n&0\end{array}\right){\frac{2}{n-1}}^\frac{0}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{c}n&1\end{array}\right){\frac{2}{n-1}}^\frac{1}{2} + ...[/tex]

but how do you simplify this?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry to dissapoint you,but apparently u cannot.It looks kinda ugly,but that's how it was supposed to be,since it involved a radical.

Daniel.

4. Jan 11, 2005 #3
    Hmm. How can I solve the following problem then?

n is a positive integer. Prove that:

[tex]n^\frac{1}{n} < 1 + \sqrt\frac{2}{n-1}[/tex]

I also need to show that [tex]n^\frac{1}{n} \rightarrow 1 [/tex] as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]. I know this follows logically from the fact that [tex]\frac{1}{n} \rightarrow 0 [/tex]as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]. Is there a more rigorous way for showing this?

Also, what is the maximum value of [tex]n^\frac{1}{n} [/tex]?

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know calculus??If u did,then
    [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} n^{\frac{1}{n}}=\alpha [/tex](1)
    U need to show that \alpha=1.
    Take natural logarithm from both sides.Then
    [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{n}\ln n =\ln\alpha [/tex] (2)

The first limit is zero (you can show that considering the function [\itex] \frac{\ln x}{x} [/itex] and using L'Ho^spital rule.
    THerefore [itex]\ln\alpha=0 \Rightarrow \alpha=1[/itex].

Daniel.

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    I've never studied L'Hospital's Rule before (I just finished Grade 10). However, I just looked it up on the internet, and I do understand how it works, but not why it works.

Is this problem solvable?

If n is a positive integer, prove that:
    [tex]n^\frac{1}{n} < 1 + \sqrt\frac{2}{n-1}[/tex]

7. Jan 11, 2005 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L'Hospitals rule is relatively easy to prove using the definitions of limit and derivative.

If n=1 then there are some problems with this.
    For n bigger than 1, you've almost got the proof.

Here's something you might find useful:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}a&b\end{array}\right) = \frac{a!}{b!(a-b)!}[/tex]
    Specifically
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n&0\end{array}\right) = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n&1\end{array}\right) = n[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n&2\end{array}\left) = \frac{(n-1)(n-2)}{2}}[/tex]

8. Jan 11, 2005 #7
    Do you mean that I have to expand [tex](1 + \sqrt\frac{2}{n-1})^n[/tex]? It's the square root that is confusing me. I can't get rid of it. :yuck:

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8
    Putting the question in another form, how do I proof that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}}[/tex] decreases in value slower than [tex]{n^{{\frac{1}{n}}}-1[/tex] as n increases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook