1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Expansion

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    Find the coefficient of the term X^5 of the expansion
    [tex](3x^3 - \frac{1}{x^2})^{10}[/tex]

Another question off the topic.
    Find the x-coordinate of the minimium point of [tex]y=2x^2-5x+3[/tex]
    I know I have to complete the square but I'm not sure how its done.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2
    Can you write the general term in the expansion of (x+y)^n? If you can, then you can replace x by 3x^3 and y by (-1/x^2).

For the second question, completing the square is a good idea if you do not know calculus (or are not supposed to use it).

Why not show your solution first?

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3
    I know calculus. So how do I do it using calculus?

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4
    Do you know the First and Second Derivative Tests?

What happens to a continuous function when its derivative switches sign? By a theorem called the Intermediate Value Theorem, every function which switches sign at least once over an interval must attain the value zero.

Try sketching a graph to convince yourself about the behavior of your quadratic polynomial.

At this point, you should consult your Calculus textbook for the First and Second Derivative Tests. If you have a problem, I'd be glad to help further.

Cheers
    Vivek

6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    Nope. Never heard of that.

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,forget about calculus.This is elementary.Take the previous advice to complete the square.

As for the first problem:The general term in the binomial expasion is
    [tex] C_{n}^{k}a^{k}b^{n-k} [/tex]

Daniel.

8. Jan 22, 2005 #7
    But I forgot how to complete the square. :redface:

9. Jan 22, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] ax^{2}+bx+c=a(x^{2}+\frac{b}{a}x)+c=a[x^{2}+2\cdot (\frac{b}{2a})\cdot x+(\frac{b}{2a})^{2}]+c-a(\frac{b}{2a})^{2}=a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^{2}+c-\frac{b^{2}}{4a} [/tex]

Apply it.

Daniel.

10. Jan 22, 2005 #9
    Thanks for the help!

11. Jan 22, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome.I hope you will master "completing the square",eventually... :smile:

Daniel.

P.S.It would be embarrasing to use calculus to find the maximum/minimum of a parabola... :rolleyes:

12. Jan 27, 2005 #11
    I couldn't agree more...but you know its way faster than completing the square (you can write the answer by inspection and this is an asset if you're in a hurry). Nevertheless, its embarrasing :tongue:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?