1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of ( 1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ......... + x^n/n! )^2 .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first glance, this looks like the polynomial form of e^x, but the expansion of e^x goes to infinity, so any use of that seems ruled out. Furthermore, I can't try expanding this or writing it in terms of the rth term and equating the power of x to n and doing something with that. Basically, I don't know how to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask yourself whether the terms that are missing from the expansion of e^x would make any difference to the coefficient of the x^n term.

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not work it out for n = 2, n = 3 and possibility n =4 and see if you can work out what's happening.

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4
    I tried for n=2, I got 2. However, looking at it, I don't see any pattern that might be of much use for figuring out x^n.

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it for the other ones and compare with the coefficient of x^n in (e^x)^2.

7. Nov 4, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of putting two copies of your polynomial side-by-side; these are the two factors in the squared expression. The coefficient of x^k in the product consists of a sum of coefficient products: 1= 1/0! from factor 1 and 1/k! from factor 2, or 1/1! from factor 1 and 1/(k-1)! from factor 2, or 1/2! from factor 1 and 1/(k-2)! from factor 2, or .... or 1/k! from factor 1 and 1/0! from factor 2. You want the sum of all the two-by-two products of these numbers.

8. Nov 4, 2014 #7
    If we write the squaring multiplication with one of the terms reversed, it's may make it easier to see the components of the x^n coefficient in the answer.

##
    \begin{matrix}
    ( & 1 & + &x/1! & + &x^2/2! & + & \dots & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + &x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^n/n! & ) & \times \\
    ( & x^n/n! & + & x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + & \dots & + & x^2/2! & + & x/1! & + & 1 & ) &
    \end{matrix}
    ##

9. Nov 4, 2014 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, you can write down the series. But it's also not terribly hard just to write down the number that it must sum to.

10. Nov 6, 2014 #9
    So I want to sum the following-
    ( 1/0! * 1/n! ) + ( 1/1! * 1/(n-1)! ) + ...... + ( 1/n! * 1/0! )
    How do I sum that up to get the answer 2^n/n! ?

11. Nov 6, 2014 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What powers of x are in the difference between your product and the power series expansion of e^(2x)?

12. Nov 6, 2014 #11
    Does 1/(k!(n-k)!) look familiar to you at all? How about n!/(k!(n-k)!) ?

13. Nov 6, 2014 #12
    Yes of course. So I multiply and divide by n!, and I get ( C0+C1+...Cn )/n! Which is just 2^n/n!

Thank you everyone :D

14. Nov 6, 2014 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but you didn't even have to sum the series. Your product is identical to the power series for e^(2x) up to order n. The nth term of that is 2^n/n!.

15. Nov 6, 2014 #14
    That's pretty neat. I haven't formally learnt power series and stuff, so I didn't know that.

16. Nov 6, 2014 #15
    I just googled operations on power series, and that's definitely a much better way of doing this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted