Binomial Expansion Practice Problems: Multiplying Binomials

• Thread starter Meezus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary: So, with that change, what is the first term in the RHS?In summary, the first part of the question involves using the formula (1+u)^-3 = 1-3u+6u^2-10u^3+... with a change of u=-x. However, the sign of each x in the resulting infinite sum must be adjusted accordingly. The correct expression for the first term in the RHS is 1+3x.
Meezus

Homework Statement

30tdVZP.png

Homework Equations

a8m6tOA.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

After using this formula I got 1-3x + 6x2 for (1-x)-3 and 1+x - 1/8 ∙ 4x2 for (1+2x)1/2 for the second part of the question I'd assume that you're supposed to multiply the equations? I think this done by timing the whole of second bracket by first number (1) then second number (-3x) and then third number (6x2.from the second bracket.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meezus said:
1-3x + 6x2
Check again the sign of the second term.

blue_leaf77 said:
Check again the sign of the second term.

I don't see where I'm going wrong here? (-3)(-4)(x)2(1/2) = 6x2

The second term, not the third one.

Meezus said:
for the second part of the question I'd assume that you're supposed to multiply the equations? I think this done by timing the whole of second bracket by first number (1) then second number (-3x) and then third number (6x2.from the second bracket.

No one says "timing". The word is "multiplying". But, yes, that's just the distributive law.

blue_leaf77 said:
The second term, not the third one.

Sorry, I'm not seeing the mistake? -3(x) = -3x correct?

The formula for the binomial expansion uses a plus sign in front of ##x## to define the equation: ##(1+x)^n##. While in the question, the sign of ##x## is minus.

blue_leaf77 said:
The formula for the binomial expansion uses a plus sign in front of ##x## to define the equation: ##(1+x)^n##. While in the question, the sign of ##x## is minus.
Oh I was just looking at it as +(-3) which is same as just -3 so I can't use this formula?

PeroK said:
No one says "timing". The word is "multiplying". But, yes, that's just the distributive law.

My mistake, would you mind checking to see if I did the first part correct?

You can use that formula, but the sign of each ##x## appearing in the RHS (the infinite sum) must be adjusted accordingly. I will rewrite the formula using different variable notation for the sake of clarity
$$
(1+u)^{-3} = 1-3u+6u^2-10u^3+\ldots
$$
what if you change ##u\rightarrow -x## as you have in the problem?

blue_leaf77 said:
You can use that formula, but the sign of each ##x## appearing in the RHS (the infinite sum) must be adjusted accordingly. I will rewrite the formula using different variable notation for the sake of clarity
$$
(1+u)^{-3} = 1-3u+6u^2-10u^3+\ldots
$$
what if you change ##u\rightarrow -x## as you have in the problem?
ooohh it all becomes negative? I see! So its 1-3x - 6x2?

Meezus said:
ooohh it all becomes negative?
No, that's not how you go about this.
Ok rather than an arrow sign, I will use an equality sign. Make a change ##u=-x## in that formula. Does it help this time?

Meezus said:
ooohh it all becomes negative? I see! So its 1-3x - 6x2?
It's not the binomial theorem that is the problem, it's your basic algebra, especially handling negative signs. I suggest you do a bit of revision of this.

blue_leaf77 said:
No, that's not how you go about this.
Ok rather than an arrow sign, I will use an equality sign. Make a change ##u=-x## in that formula. Does it help this time?
1-3-x + 6-x2 - 10-x3

I know what you did there is simply replacing ##u## with ##-x## without giving heed to the rules of writing the accepted mathematical expression. What does -3-x in that expression mean?

blue_leaf77 said:
I know what you did there is simply replacing ##u## with ##-x## without giving heed to the rules of writing the accepted mathematical expression. What does -3-x in that expression mean?

I'm not sure how it should be expressed. -3-x = -(x+3). Should it be 1 - (3+x)? (IGNORE)

Its (-3)(-x) so it should be 3x because its -3 * -x. sorry

Meezus said:
Its (-3)(-x) so it should be 3x because its -3 * -x. sorry
Yes, it should have been ##+3x##.

1. What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical process in which a binomial expression, which is a polynomial with two terms, is raised to a certain power. The result of a binomial expansion is a polynomial with multiple terms.

2. Why is binomial expansion important?

Binomial expansion is important because it allows us to easily expand and simplify expressions with binomial terms raised to a certain power. This is particularly useful in algebra and calculus when dealing with complex equations and functions.

3. How do you expand a binomial expression?

To expand a binomial expression, we use the binomial theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = a^n + n * a^(n-1) * b + (n * (n-1))/2 * a^(n-2) * b^2 + ... + b^n. We can use this formula to find the expanded form of any binomial expression.

4. What are some real-life applications of binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion has many real-life applications, such as in the fields of physics, statistics, and economics. For example, in physics, binomial expansion is used to simplify complex equations and models. In statistics, it is used to calculate probabilities and in economics, it is used to study financial markets.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving binomial expansion problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving binomial expansion problems include forgetting to distribute the power to every term, not using the correct binomial expansion formula, and making errors in simplifying the expanded expression. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the binomial expansion formula to avoid these mistakes.