Binomial or Normal: Population Proportion Testing

In summary, the student is asking if a question involving testing population proportion can be solved using a normal distribution, as their lecturer had used a binomial distribution. The student provides the value of np as 9, indicating that it is greater than 5.
werson9339

Homework Statement

This involve testing population proportion. (either small or big sample) this question is done by my lecturer by using binomial , i am wondering could it be done using normal distribution? because the np is 20(0.45) = 9 which is greater than 5 , https://www.flickr.com/photos/110120...6/15432962168

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
werson9339 said:

Homework Statement

This involve testing population proportion. (either small or big sample) this question is done by my lecturer by using binomial , i am wondering could it be done using normal distribution? because the np is 20(0.45) = 9 which is greater than 5 , https://www.flickr.com/photos/110120...6/15432962168

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Post the problem by typing it directly; I cannot open your link---I get a bad link message. Anyway, there are good reasons for NOT posting images; it is discouraged (although not outright forbidden) by PF. Read the pinned post 'Guidelines for students and helpers', by Vela.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between binomial and normal population proportion testing?

Binomial population proportion testing is used when the sample size is small and the population standard deviation is unknown. It assumes that the data follows a binomial distribution. Normal population proportion testing is used when the sample size is large and the population standard deviation is known. It assumes that the data follows a normal distribution.

2. How do you calculate the test statistic for binomial or normal population proportion testing?

The test statistic for binomial population proportion testing is calculated using the formula z = (p̂ - p0) / √(p0(1-p0)/n), where p̂ is the sample proportion, p0 is the hypothesized population proportion, and n is the sample size. For normal population proportion testing, the test statistic is calculated using the formula z = (p̂ - p0) / √(p0(1-p0)/n), where p̂ is the sample proportion, p0 is the hypothesized population proportion, and n is the sample size.

3. How do you determine the critical value for binomial or normal population proportion testing?

The critical value for binomial population proportion testing can be found using a binomial distribution table or calculated using the formula zα/2 = ± invNorm(α/2), where α is the significance level. For normal population proportion testing, the critical value can be found using a normal distribution table or calculated using the formula zα/2 = ± invNorm(α/2), where α is the significance level.

4. What is the purpose of conducting binomial or normal population proportion testing?

The purpose of conducting binomial or normal population proportion testing is to determine whether a sample proportion is significantly different from a hypothesized population proportion. This can help researchers make conclusions about a population based on a sample.

5. What is the difference between one-tailed and two-tailed tests in binomial or normal population proportion testing?

A one-tailed test is used to determine if the sample proportion is significantly greater than or less than the hypothesized population proportion. A two-tailed test is used to determine if the sample proportion is significantly different from the hypothesized population proportion in either direction. The choice between a one-tailed or two-tailed test should be based on the research question and hypothesis being tested.