Binomial or the Black Scholes?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which model, binomial or Black Scholes, is better for valuing American options. The poster clarifies that this means finding the value of options before or on the expiry date, and explains the concept of options. Some people suggest resources to help with the question, and there is a humorous comment about not replying to most posts.
courtrigrad
Is this a good problem: Which is a better model for valuing American options: the binomial or the Black Scholes?

Any feedback is appreciated

ps: sorry for the hiatus

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm...

What do you mean by 'valuing American options?'

finding the value of american options before or on the expiry date. Options are a contract where a person can buy (calll) or sell(put) an amount if it will benefit them.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. I can't help you. Maybe this post belongs in the philosophy section, not homework help.

If you don't understand a question, perhaps it is better not to reply at all.

No, this is not a "philosophy" question, but it is an economics question.

I'm no expert in the field but googling on 'economics "Black Sholes"' and 'economics binomial', I found this web-site that might help:
http://www.princeton.edu/~wxiong/465/465_2004.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should test a plain old straight line too. Depending on which level of statistics you're familiar with.

HallsofIvy said:
If you don't understand a question, perhaps it is better not to reply at all.
Yes, you're fully correct. I should have known better. :rofl:

That's why I don't reply to MOST posts!

1. What is the Binomial or Black Scholes model?

The Binomial or Black Scholes model is a mathematical formula used to calculate the theoretical value of financial options, such as stock options. It takes into account factors such as the current price of the underlying asset, the strike price, the time until expiration, and market volatility to determine the fair price of an option.

2. How is the Binomial or Black Scholes model used in finance?

The Binomial or Black Scholes model is used by financial analysts and traders to determine the theoretical value of options and make informed decisions about buying and selling them. It is also used by companies to determine the fair value of employee stock options and by investors to assess the risk and potential return of different investment strategies.

3. What is the difference between the Binomial and Black Scholes models?

The Binomial and Black Scholes models are both used to calculate the value of financial options, but they use different mathematical approaches. The Binomial model is a discrete model that breaks down time into smaller intervals, while the Black Scholes model is a continuous model that assumes a constant rate of change over time. The Binomial model is more accurate but also more computationally intensive, while the Black Scholes model is simpler and faster to calculate.

4. What are the assumptions of the Binomial or Black Scholes model?

The Binomial and Black Scholes models make several assumptions, including that the underlying asset follows a lognormal distribution, there are no transaction costs or taxes, and there are no arbitrage opportunities. Additionally, the Black Scholes model assumes that the market is efficient and that the risk-free rate and volatility of the underlying asset are constant over time.

5. Can the Binomial or Black Scholes model accurately predict the price of options?

The Binomial and Black Scholes models are theoretical models and their predictions may not always match the actual market price of options. However, they are widely used and have been validated through extensive testing and research. They are considered to be valuable tools for estimating the fair value of options and making informed investment decisions.