1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial probabilities

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    I have a bag of M&M's that is 22.5% Blue, 12.5%Brown, and 65% other.

If I pull 12 M&M's from the bag, what is the probabiliity that exactly 2 are blue and 3 are brown?

I used the binomial to find the probability of 2 blue and 3 brown, and I want to multiply them together to get the answer, but wouldn't that assume that the two are independent? Obviously they are not, because any time I pull out a blue M&M, it is one time I have not pulled out a brown M&M.

Can someone shed light on how to solve this? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2
    There is no replacement, so you can't use a multinomial distribution. You want a multivariate hypergeometric distribution. I found a formula on the web for it here:

http://www.agner.org/random/distrib.pdf

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    Correction - if you assume an infinite number of M&M's in the bag, then it's probably safe to use the multinomial distribution. The formula for that is also in the link I provided.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?