Binomial probability distribution integration limits

In summary: Your Name]In summary, in order to find the limits of integration for a known value of the binomial probability distribution, you can use the inverse cumulative distribution function or a numerical integration method. The inverse CDF function will give you the upper and lower integration limits directly, while the numerical method requires looping through different limits until the desired probability is reached. Both approaches can help you solve this problem effectively.
photon342

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the limits of integration (upper and lower) of a known value of the binomial probability distribution. In other words, I know what the integral (area under the prob. dist.) needs to be (0.84 and 0.16), but how can I code a function (say into MATLAB) that will take as input the value of the probability, and give me the integration limits?

Homework Equations

the binomial probability distribution - which in kind of lengthy to put in here
the integral of the distribution evaluates the probability of getting a certain value.

The Attempt at a Solution

i've plotted the function in matlab, but don't know how to get the integration limits if the area of the curve in about 68%...
I was thinking some sort of loop, but it may be simpler than that.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are trying to find the limits of integration for a known value of the binomial probability distribution. This is a common problem in statistics and can be solved using a few different methods.

One approach is to use the inverse cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the binomial distribution. This function takes a probability as input and returns the corresponding value of the random variable. In your case, you know the desired probability (0.84 and 0.16), so you can use the inverse CDF to find the corresponding values of the random variable. These values will be your upper and lower integration limits.

Another approach is to use a numerical integration method, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the integral of the binomial distribution. You can loop through different values of the integration limits until you get the desired probability. This may be more time-consuming, but it can be useful if you do not have access to the inverse CDF function.

I hope this helps you in finding the limits of integration for your problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a binomial probability distribution?

A binomial probability distribution is a type of probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure).

2. What are integration limits in binomial probability distribution?

Integration limits in binomial probability distribution refer to the range of values over which the probability of a certain number of successes is calculated. These limits are typically determined by the number of trials and the probability of success in each trial.

3. How are integration limits calculated in binomial probability distribution?

The integration limits in binomial probability distribution can be calculated using the binomial probability formula, which takes into account the number of trials, the probability of success, and the desired number of successes. The lower limit is usually set to 0, while the upper limit is determined by the specific problem at hand.

4. What is the importance of integration limits in binomial probability distribution?

Integration limits in binomial probability distribution are important because they define the range of values over which the probability of a certain number of successes is calculated. They allow us to accurately predict the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of trials, which is crucial in many real-world applications.

5. Can the integration limits in binomial probability distribution be changed?

Yes, the integration limits in binomial probability distribution can be changed depending on the specific problem being analyzed. However, they must always adhere to certain rules, such as starting at 0 and being less than or equal to the number of trials.