Binomial Probability Problem

In summary, the binomial distribution is a useful tool for predicting the probability of a certain number of successes in a given number of trials with a known probability of success for each trial. It can also be used to test a hypothesis, such as the probability of failure being less than 5%. However, a larger sample size may be needed for more accurate results.
QuickLoris
Hello all!
I'm trying to understand whether I can use the binomial distribution in a certain way...

According to the equation, to find the probability P of a certain number of successes out of a number you trials, you need the number of trials, n; the number of successes out of the trials, x; and the probability of a success on any given trial, p.

Now let's say you have a small population size, N = 40, of LEDs, that either work or don't. Can I assume p to be .50 and and set P to .95 so I can determine what n and x I would need? Or am I supposed to do a preliminary study to determine p?

Are there other tests I should do instead for finding the probability of failure in small population and small sample sizes? Is there a minimum % of the population that I should test?

I haven't found any problem like this in any of the textbooks I've looked through.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here. Do you want to know how many LEDs will be defective on average?

Just because you only have two outcomes doesn't mean your probability is 0.5 - every time you cross the road, you can die or live. This doesn't mean you have a 50% chance of death each time you cross. You will need to do a study to determine the p-value, along witha confidence interval. The bigger your sample size, the smaller your confidence interval will be. As I don't know what your intention is, I can't give a better answer at the moment.

A Binomial problem (an extension of a Bernoulli one) is quite clear in dealing with the determination of probability to have a certain number of hits based on a certain number of tries and a particular probability of success of each try.

The rest you mention about determining the actual probability of success of a particular hit from a sample population is another subject entirely.

In case you're wondering if the Binomial distribution works for a small number of tries, given that you know the probability of success of each try, it's perfectly safe. In fact, it's not an approximation and directly a result of basic probability axioms (i.e. it's accurate even for 1 or 2 tries). It's when it gets to approximations such as the Central Limit Theorem via the N(), that large samples might be required.

Thank you for your replies. I think I understand now. The binomial distribution is a predictive measure of the probability of getting a certain amount of successes given a specific number of trials and a defined probability of success for each independent trial. So, it's not meant to be used to test a hypothesis.

It could be used to test a hypothesis. The null hypothesis would be : The probability of failure is < 5%. If you take a sample of 50 parts and get 5 failures, the probability of this is 6.6% so you would not reject the null hypothesis at the 95% confidence level. I.e. 5 defective parts is not enough to go back to the LED manufacturer and complain.

What is a Binomial Probability Problem?

A binomial probability problem is a type of statistical problem that involves calculating the probability of a specific outcome in a series of independent trials with two possible outcomes, often referred to as "success" or "failure". It is based on the binomial distribution, which is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a given number of trials.

How do you calculate the probability in a Binomial Probability Problem?

The probability in a binomial probability problem can be calculated using the formula P(x) = (nCx)*(p^x)*(q^(n-x)), where n is the total number of trials, x is the number of successes, p is the probability of success in each trial, and q is the probability of failure (1-p). This formula is also referred to as the binomial probability formula or the binomial probability distribution formula.

What are some real-life examples of Binomial Probability Problems?

Binomial probability problems can be found in various fields such as biology, finance, and sports. Some examples include predicting the gender of a baby, determining the likelihood of a stock price increasing or decreasing, and calculating the probability of a basketball player making a certain number of free throws out of a given number of attempts.

What are the key assumptions in a Binomial Probability Problem?

The key assumptions in a binomial probability problem are that each trial is independent, there are only two possible outcomes (success or failure), the probability of success remains constant for each trial, and the total number of trials is fixed. These assumptions are necessary for the binomial distribution formula to accurately calculate the probability.

How is a Binomial Probability Problem different from a Normal Distribution Problem?

A binomial probability problem deals with a discrete outcome (success or failure), while a normal distribution problem deals with a continuous outcome. In a binomial probability problem, the number of trials is fixed and the probability of success remains constant, whereas in a normal distribution problem, the mean and standard deviation determine the probability of a certain outcome. Additionally, the shape of the graph for a binomial distribution is skewed, while the graph for a normal distribution is bell-shaped.