Proving the Binomial Theorem: Simplifying Binomial Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of binomial coefficients and their properties, including the binomial theorem. The goal is to show that the binomial coefficient \frac{-1}{n} is equal to (-1)^{n}. The conversation also includes a suggestion to look up information on Wikipedia for further understanding.
dalarev

Homework Statement

Show that binomial coefficients [tex]\frac{-1}{n}[/tex] = (-1)[tex]^{n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

(1+x)^p = (p / n) x^n

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless on the idea of binomial coefficients. I think if I understood the question better I'd know at least where to start. It's not actually -1/n (no division) but I couldn't find the right syntax for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your equation for (1+x)^p is incomplete. There should be a summation of p+1 terms on the right hand side.

Also, there is a lot of information on binomial coefficients, binomial expansion, and even a formula for generalization to negative numbers on Wikipedia, which should be very helpful.

The binomial theorem says that
[tex](a+ b)^n= \sum_{i= 0}^n\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ i \end{array}\right)a^{n-i}b^i[/tex]
is that what you mean? And please do not use (p/n) for the binomial coefficient! That's extremely confusing. If you don't want to use LaTex, use nCi.

HallsofIvy said:
The binomial theorem says that
[tex](a+ b)^n= \sum_{i= 0}^n\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ i \end{array}\right)a^{n-i}b^i[/tex]
is that what you mean? And please do not use (p/n) for the binomial coefficient! That's extremely confusing. If you don't want to use LaTex, use nCi.

yes, that's what I meant. I'm not very experienced with math type on this forum.

1. What is binomial proof series?

Binomial proof series is a mathematical concept used in probability and statistics to determine the likelihood of obtaining a specific outcome from a series of independent events. It involves using the binomial theorem to calculate the probability of a specific number of successes in a given number of trials.

2. How is binomial proof series used in scientific research?

Binomial proof series is used in scientific research to determine the probability of a certain outcome, such as the success or failure of a drug in a clinical trial. It can also be used to analyze data from experiments and surveys to make statistical inferences.

3. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms. It states that the coefficients of the expanded terms are determined by the binomial coefficients, which are calculated using combination and factorial formulas.

4. What are the key assumptions of binomial proof series?

The key assumptions of binomial proof series include that the events are independent, there are only two possible outcomes (success or failure), and the probability of success remains the same for each trial. Additionally, the trials must be identical and the total number of trials must be fixed.

5. Can binomial proof series be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, binomial proof series can be applied to real-world situations, such as predicting the probability of a certain number of people being diagnosed with a disease, or the likelihood of a specific outcome in a sports game. It is also commonly used in quality control and market research to make decisions based on statistical probabilities.