1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial proof <series>

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that binomial coefficients [tex]\frac{-1}{n}[/tex] = (-1)[tex]^{n}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

(1+x)^p = (p / n) x^n

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm clueless on the idea of binomial coefficients. I think if I understood the question better I'd know at least where to start. It's not actually -1/n (no division) but I couldn't find the right syntax for it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    I think your equation for (1+x)^p is incomplete. There should be a summation of p+1 terms on the right hand side.

Also, there is a lot of information on binomial coefficients, binomial expansion, and even a formula for generalization to negative numbers on Wikipedia, which should be very helpful.
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The binomial theorem says that
    [tex](a+ b)^n= \sum_{i= 0}^n\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ i \end{array}\right)a^{n-i}b^i[/tex]
    is that what you mean? And please do not use (p/n) for the binomial coefficient! That's extremely confusing. If you don't want to use LaTex, use nCi.
  5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    yes, that's what I meant. I'm not very experienced with math type on this forum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?