Binomial Series Help: Expansion and Coefficients Explained | 1-x^-^3 Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of (1-x)^-3 using the binomial series and finding the coefficient of x^r in terms of r. The formula for the binomial series is mentioned and it is suggested to use a general solution in terms of a function f(k). The pattern for the expansion is shown and the coefficient of x^r is given by a specific product.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got 1 question regarding the binomial series which I am currently stuck at.

1. Expand [tex] (1-x)^-^3 [/tex] and express the coefficient of [tex] x^r [/tex] in terms of r.

What i did was to first expand it, according to the binomial series, and I got,

[tex] 1+3x+6x^2...\frac {(-3)(-3-1)...(-3-r+1)}{r!} (-x)^r [/tex]

and the answer is [tex] \frac {(r+1)(r+2)}{2} [/tex]. How do i get from [tex] \frac {(-3)(-3-1)...(-3-r+1)}{r!} [/tex] to the answer? The dots confuse me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general binomial formula is
[tex] (1-a)^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n} C_{n}^{k} (-1)^{k} a^{k} [/tex]

So decide what is the coefficient of "a^{r}".

Daniel.

I know it seems like very absurd, daniel, but we haven't learned about sequences and series as well as sigma notation but we started on binomial expansions first !

But all I know for now, is that for the term [tex] x^r [/tex], in the expansion of [tex] (1+x)^n [/tex] is,

[tex] \frac {n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+1)}{r!} x^r[/tex]

what confuses me is how to get rid of those dots...

misogynisticfeminist said:
I've got 1 question regarding the binomial series which I am currently stuck at.

1. Expand [tex] (1-x)^-^3 [/tex] and express the coefficient of [tex] x^r [/tex] in terms of r.

and the answer is [tex] \frac {(r+1)(r+2)}{2} [/tex]. How do i get from [tex] \frac {(-3)(-3-1)...(-3-r+1)}{r!} [/tex] to the answer? The dots confuse me.

Don't worry about the dots, all you have to remember is that you're multiplying a whole lot of terms to get the desired coefficient. Think simply.

In this case, realize :

a) the coefficients of [itex]x^r[/itex] are always positive.

b) The numerator you're dealing with is very similar to a factorial - I'm assuming you've already studied up on those ? In this case, you're multiplying in increasing terms starting from 3,4, and going up to (r + 2). This is like taking [itex](r + 2) ![/itex] and dividing it by 2, do you see that ?

Let's look at the general term (only the coefficient) :

[tex]\frac{(3)(4)...(3 + r - 2)(3 + r - 1)}{r !} = \frac{(3)(4)...(r + 1)(r + 2)}{r !}[/tex]

With me so far ? Then ...

[tex]\frac{(3)(4)...(r + 1)(r + 2)}{r !} = \frac{(1)(2)(3)(4)...(r + 1)(r + 2)}{(1)(2)(r !)}
[/tex]

and here I'm multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by the same amount (2) to get the numerator to equal [itex](r + 2) ![/itex]

Can you proceed from here ? :wink:

Last edited:
Oh yes ! I've seen it...thanks a lot man.

And hey ! you're from Singapore too...!

Oh yes ! I've seen it...thanks a lot man.

And hey ! you're from Singapore too...!

Glad to help, and, yes, I'm from Sg. :smile:

Some years ago, I came up with a formula for the binomial series expansion, which doesn't make use of factorials, but instead uses iterated products over a dummy variable inside the summation sign. From memory, the formula I got was:

[tex] (1+U)^{\alpha}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{U(\alpha + 1 - k)}{k}[/tex]

Eventually, I learned to solve many problems by assuming a general solution of the form:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} f(k)[/tex]

where f(k) is an unknown function of k. Using that assumption, it is possible to solve for the spherical harmonics, for the hydrogen atom, without having to have memorized the legendre polynomials. But I can leave that for another time.

As for your problem, [tex] U=-x [/tex], and [tex] \alpha = -3 [/tex]. Therefore, you want to expand the following combination sum/product:

[tex] (1-x)^{-3}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{-x(-3 + 1 - k)}{k}[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex] (1-x)^{-3}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k}[/tex]

the first term in the expansion (corresponding to n=0) is 1, the next term in the expansion corresponding to n=1, is given by

[tex ] \prod_{k=1}^{k=1} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k} = \frac{x(2+1)}{1} = 3x [/tex]

The third term in the expansion (corresponding to n=2) is given by:

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{k=2} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k} = (3x)(4x/2) = 6x^2 [/tex]

Now you can see the pattern. The coefficient of x^r is given by:

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{k=r} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k} [/tex]

Kind regards,

Guru

(Fixing latex error in previous post, I wanted to just edit it, but couldn't.)

Some years ago, I came up with a formula for the binomial series expansion, which doesn't make use of factorials, but instead uses iterated products over a dummy variable inside the summation sign. From memory, the formula I got was:

[tex] (1+U)^{\alpha}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{U(\alpha + 1 - k)}{k}[/tex]

Eventually, I learned to solve many problems by assuming a general solution of the form:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} f(k)[/tex]

where f(k) is an unknown function of k. Using that assumption, it is possible to solve for the spherical harmonics, for the hydrogen atom, without having to have memorized the legendre polynomials. But I can leave that for another time.

As for your problem, [tex] U=-x [/tex], and [tex] \alpha = -3 [/tex]. Therefore, you want to expand the following combination sum/product:

[tex] (1-x)^{-3}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{-x(-3 + 1 - k)}{k}[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex] (1-x)^{-3}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=\infty} \prod_{k=1}^{k=n} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k}[/tex]

the first term in the expansion (corresponding to n=0) is 1, the next term in the expansion corresponding to n=1, is given by

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{k=1} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k} = \frac{x(2+1)}{1} = 3x [/tex]

The third term in the expansion (corresponding to n=2) is given by:

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{k=2} \frac{x(2 + k)}{k} = (3x)(4x/2) = 6x^2 [/tex]

Now you can see the pattern. The coefficient of x^r is given by:

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{k=r} \frac{(2 + k)}{k} [/tex]

Kind regards,

Guru

1. What is a binomial series?

A binomial series is a mathematical series that involves raising a binomial expression to a positive integer power. It is a way of expressing a polynomial in terms of a sum of powers of a variable.

2. How do you find the coefficients in a binomial series?

The coefficients in a binomial series can be found using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficient of the term with x^n in the expansion of (a + b)^n is given by the binomial coefficient (n choose k), where k is the exponent of b in that term.

3. What is the difference between a binomial series and a binomial expansion?

A binomial series is an infinite sum of terms, while a binomial expansion is a finite sum of terms. A binomial expansion only includes terms up to a certain power, while a binomial series includes all possible powers.

4. How is a binomial series used in real life?

A binomial series has many applications in physics, statistics, and engineering. It is used to approximate complex functions, calculate probabilities, and model physical systems.

5. What is the convergence of a binomial series?

The convergence of a binomial series depends on the values of a and b. If the absolute value of b is less than 1, the series will converge. If the absolute value of b is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge. The series may also converge or diverge at certain values of a, depending on the value of b.