Why is Adding One Necessary in Binomial Series for 1/\sqrt{1-x^{2}}?

In summary, there was a question about using a binomial series to expand 1/\sqrt{1-x^{2}}, specifically whether or not to include a term with a coefficient of 1. The answer was that the series should include the term with a coefficient of 1, as it represents the n=0 term. The confusion may have arisen because the answer key separated out this term for clarity.
paridiso
When using a binomial series to expand [tex]1/\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/tex] I come up with the correct answer except that I do not add the number one to my answer. Why do I have to add one to the series, should this not arise when calculating the sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
If x is zero the result is 1. You should definitely have a 1 in the series. What DID you do?

When expanding it I come up with the following result:

[tex]\sum (1*3* \ldots (2n-1)*x^{2n}) / 2^{n}n! [/tex]

According to the answer key the answer is:

[tex]1 + \sum ((1*3* \ldots (2n-1)*x^{2n}) / 2^{n}n!) [/tex]

Where does the one come from?

You didn't put limits on your summations. It looks like in the books answer the limits are 1 to infinity. In your answer they are 0 to infinity. Isn't 1 the n=0 term in your series?

Yes ... they separated out the [itex]n=0[/itex] term, because they thought the student would not understand the product [tex]1\cdot3\cdots(-1)[/itex]

Thanks, I understand it now.

1. What is a binomial series?

A binomial series is an infinite series expansion of a binomial expression, such as (a+b)^n, where a and b are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. What is the general formula for a binomial series?

The general formula for a binomial series is given by (a+b)^n = sum from k=0 to infinity of (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where (n choose k) represents the binomial coefficient.

3. How is a binomial series different from a Taylor series?

A binomial series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the function being expanded is a binomial expression. In a Taylor series, the function can be any continuous function, not just a binomial expression.

4. What is the convergence criteria for a binomial series?

A binomial series converges when the absolute value of the common ratio, |b/a|, is less than 1. In other words, the series converges when |b/a| < 1.

5. How is a binomial series used in mathematics and science?

Binomial series are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as in calculus, probability, and statistics. They are used to approximate complicated functions, calculate probabilities, and solve equations. They have applications in areas such as finance, physics, and engineering.