Struggling with Binomial Series Expansion? Get Help Here!

In summary, the conversation is about a question on Binomial Series expansion. The question asks to expand (1/(sqrt(1-b^2(sin^2)x)))), where b = sin(1/2(theta)) as a binomial series. The person has been stuck on this question for a long time and is looking for guidance. They have shown their working so far and are open to corrections or simpler methods.
Oxymoron
I have been doing some questions on Binomial Series expansion and have been stuck on this particular question for a long time and desperately need some guidance.

Q) Expand (1/(sqrt(1-b^2(sin^2)x)))), where b = sin(1/2(theta)) as a binomial series.

Here is what I have done so far...

Let x = (b^2(sin^2)x) because I want the expression in binomial form.

So it becomes 1/sqrt(1 - x) with k = -1/2

(1-x)^-1/2 can be written in binomial form... (S is capital sigma)

= S(-1/2 n)(-x)^n
= 1 + (-1/2)(-x) + ((-1/2)(-3/2)/2!)*(-x)^2 + ...
= 1 + 1/2x - 3/8x^2 + ...
= 1 + 1/2k^2sin^2x - 3/8k^4sin^4x + ...

Any help on this question would be excellent!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What kind of help do you want? Do you have any reason to believe that what you have is not correct?

Sorry about that. What I meant was that if my working was incorrect could someone correct me or offer a simpler way to do it (if any).

Thanks.

1. What is a binomial series expansion?

A binomial series expansion is a mathematical method used to expand a binomial expression, which is an expression with two terms, into an infinite series. It is used to simplify complex expressions and can be used to approximate values of functions.

2. How do I know when to use a binomial series expansion?

A binomial series expansion is typically used when dealing with binomial expressions raised to a large power. It is also commonly used in calculus and physics to approximate values of functions.

3. What is the general formula for a binomial series expansion?

The general formula for a binomial series expansion is (x + a)^n = 1 + nx + n(n-1)/2! * x^2 + n(n-1)(n-2)/3! * x^3 + ... + n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k+1)/k! * x^k + ... where n is the power of the binomial expression and x is the variable.

4. What are some common applications of binomial series expansions?

Binomial series expansions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include calculating probabilities in statistics, approximating values of trigonometric functions, and simplifying complex expressions in calculus.

5. How can I get help with struggling to understand binomial series expansions?

If you are struggling with binomial series expansions, it is always helpful to seek assistance from a tutor, teacher, or online resources. You can also practice solving problems and ask for feedback from others. Additionally, breaking down the steps and understanding the concept behind the formula can also help in understanding binomial series expansions.