What is the solution to the Binomial Theorem problem highlighted in red?

In summary, the product is equal to series (2) because the term independent of x is a sum of terms that can be simplified to kc_k^2. The second line in the paint document can be expanded using the binomial theorem and comparing the coefficients shows that they are not equal. However, after further clarification, it is clear that the sum of the terms in the product is equal to series (2).
Miike012
I highlighted the portion in red in the paint document that I'm not understanding.

How can we see by inspection that the product is equal to the series 2?

Attachments

• series.jpg
    series.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
I highlighted the portion in red in the paint document that I'm not understanding.

How can we see by inspection that the product is equal to the series 2?

The term independent of x in the product is equal to the series (2); this is because the term independent of x is a sum of terms of the form [itex]kc_k x^k \times c_k/x^k = kc_k^2[/itex].

pasmith said:
The term independent of x in the product is equal to the series (2); this is because the term independent of x is a sum of terms of the form [itex]kc_k x^k \times c_k/x^k = kc_k^2[/itex].
The second line in the paint document is equal to n/xn(1 + (2n-1)x + (2n-1)(2n-1)/2!x2 + ...) by using the binomial theorem

If we look at the coefficient of the second term it is equal to n(2n-1).

If we compare the coeff. n(2n -1) with the coeff. of the second term of series (2) which is
2c22 = 2(n-1)(n-2)/2! = n2 - 3n + 2 they are not equal.

Hence n(2n-1) =/= n2 - 3n + 2

Attachments

• L.jpg
    L.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 359
Never mind I see that u said its the sum of the terms... I got it now

What is the Binomial Theorem problem?

The Binomial Theorem problem involves finding the coefficients of a binomial expansion, which is a mathematical formula for expanding expressions containing two terms.

What is the formula for the Binomial Theorem?

The formula for the Binomial Theorem is (a + b)^n = ∑(n,k=0) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is a positive integer and (n choose k) = n!/(k!(n-k)!).

How do you solve a Binomial Theorem problem?

To solve a Binomial Theorem problem, you first need to identify the values of n, a, and b in the given expression. Then, you can use the formula to expand the expression and simplify it to find the coefficients.

What is the significance of the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is significant because it provides a quick and efficient way to expand binomial expressions, which are commonly used in mathematics and science. It also has applications in algebra, calculus, and probability.

What are some common mistakes made when solving Binomial Theorem problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving Binomial Theorem problems include forgetting to use the correct formula, making errors in calculating the coefficients, and not simplifying the expanded expression correctly. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with calculations to avoid these mistakes.