1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial theorem question

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    I'm having problems figuring out how to do part (b) of this question.

a) expand [tex] (1-2x)^3[/tex] and [tex] (1+1/x)^5 [/tex]
    b) Find, in the expansion of [tex] (1-2x)^3[/tex][tex] (1+1/x)^5 [/tex]
    i) the constant term
    ii) the coeffecient of x

I've done part a, and I know the formula for a general term for an expansion of a binomial. I don't get what I do in part b though..

TiA
    Preet

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you expand the two power expressions in (a) then multiply them, what will you get as the constant term? (The answer isn't 1 because the x and the 1/x terms of the same power will cancel each other.) Then, what is the coefficient of x? Again you have to be careful because of cancellations.

Example: If both expressions were of power 1, i.e. (1-2x)(1+1/x), then:
    (1-2x)(1+1/x) = 1 + 1/x - 2x - 2x/x = -1 + 1/x - 2x. So (i) -1 and (ii) -2.

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    I was thinking there would be a more sensible way to do it since Id have to expand (4 terms)(6 terms).

5. Jan 15, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't have to multiply out the whole thing.
    (1- 2x)3 involves terms with x to the 0, 1, 2, 3 powers and you have already found the coefficients.
    (1+ 1/x)5 involves terms with x to the 0, -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 powers and you have already found the coefficients.

I will use (n, m) to mean "the terms in (1-2x)3 with exponent n and the term in (1+1/x)5 with exponent m".

The "constant", with exponent 0, requires multiplying the coefficients of the (0, 0), (1, -1), (2, -2), and (3, -3) powers together then adding them.

The "x" term, with coefficient 1, requires multiplying the coefficients of the (1, 0), (2, -1), (3, -2) powers together and then adding them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?