Proving (1+n)^n≥ 5/2* n^n- 1/2* n^(n-1) for n≥2 using Binomial Theorem

In summary: The coefficient of n-1 would be ##\binom{n}{n-1}=n## and the coefficient of n-2 would be ##\binom{n}{n-2}=\frac{n!}{(n-2)!(n-(n-2))!}=\frac{n!}{(n-2)!2!}=\frac{n(n-1)}{2}##.
rohan03

Homework Statement

(1+n)^n≥ 5/2* n^n- 1/2* n^(n-1) for n≥2

Homework Equations

i know I have to use this formula
(1+x)^n=1+nx/1!+(n(n-1) x^2)/2!+⋯

The Attempt at a Solution

And you take x=n from my original inequality but after that I have no clue
(1+n)^n=1+n/1! n+(n(n-1) n^2)/2!+⋯
but it seems very complicated !

Physics news on Phys.org
rohan03 said:

Homework Statement

(1+n)^n≥ 5/2* n^n- 1/2* n^(n-1) for n≥2

Homework Equations

i know I have to use this formula
(1+x)^n=1+nx/1!+(n(n-1) x^2)/2!+⋯

The Attempt at a Solution

And you take x=n from my original inequality but after that I have no clue
(1+n)^n=1+n/1! n+(n(n-1) n^2)/2!+⋯
but it seems very complicated !

Since n is a positive integer, that binomial expansion has finitely many terms. And since ##n\ge 2## the expansion has at least 3 terms. Try keeping just the last three terms (which you didn't write down) because they are the ones with the higher powers of n.

Will do that and write my results here. What I don't know is how to get last terms power to n-1 ?

I'll be doing this tomorrow so please check ur post.

(1+n)^n=1+n/1 n+(n(n-1) n^2)/2!+(n(n-1) 〖(n-2)n〗^3)/3!…

Last edited:
rohan03 said:
(1+n)^n=1+n/1 n+(n(n-1) n^2)/2!+(n(n-1) 〖(n-2)n〗^3)/3!…

Do you know the binomial expansion for ##(a+b)^n##? It doesn't end with a "...". You need to look at the last three terms, not the first terms.

if I use just the last three term I do get the result- so is it ok for me to just use last three terms ignoring first few terms- if yes than I have resolved so simple problem- which looked very complicated in the first place- Thank you

rohan03 said:
if I use just the last three term I do get the result- so is it ok for me to just use last three terms ignoring first few terms- if yes than I have resolved so simple problem- which looked very complicated in the first place- Thank you

Yes. That is why there is a ##\ge## sign in the statement of the problem. Leaving out the other terms makes it smaller.

thank you- this forum is blessing to someone relatively new to pure maths.

I'm confused.

Which binomial expansion should I be using for this question and why?

Is it binomial expansion for (a+b)^n or (1+x)^n

what do you mean last 3 terms? if its infinite it wouldn't have any last term?

fireychariot said:
what do you mean last 3 terms? if its infinite it wouldn't have any last term?

##n## is a positive integer so the binomial expansion is finite:$$
(1+n)^n =\sum_{k=0}^n \binom n k 1^{n-k} n^k$$The last three terms are for ##k=n,n-1,n-2##.

Thanks for that. I'm having a blonde moment though when working out the coefficients. I know you use n!/k!(n-k)! However I am little confused when I input for say k = n-1 I get n!/(n-1)!(n-n-1)! How do I expand on this? Many thanks.

twinplums said:
They're from the same formula. Set a=1, b=x.

fireychariot said:
Thanks for that. I'm having a blonde moment though when working out the coefficients. I know you use n!/k!(n-k)! However I am little confused when I input for say k = n-1 I get n!/(n-1)!(n-n-1)! How do I expand on this? Many thanks.

A factorial for natural numbers is the product of all consecutive integers from 1 upto n. That is,

[tex]n! = n\cdot (n-1) \cdot (n-2) ... 2\cdot 1[/tex]

Use this definition in both the numerator and denominator of the expression. What do you get?
twinplums said:
I'm confused.

Which binomial expansion should I be using for this question and why?

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=869

so say i was doing k = n-1

n(n-1)/n(n-1)(0)! = n(n-1)/0! = n(n-1)? have I don't that correct??

fireychariot said:
so say i was doing k = n-1

n(n-1)/n(n-1)(0)! = n(n-1)/0! = n(n-1)? have I don't that correct??

No.$$
\binom n {n-1}=\frac {n!}{(n-1)!(n-(n-1))!}=\frac {n!}{(n-1)!(n-n+1)!}
=n$$

thank you for your help so far.

I want to see if i have expanded this right then. Definetly need more practice on this.

(1+n)^n = 1^n + 1^n + n^n-1 + 1/2n^n-2 + [itex]\cdots[/itex]

fireychariot said:
thank you for your help so far.

I want to see if i have expanded this right then. Definetly need more practice on this.

(1+n)^n = 1^n + 1^n + n^n-1 + 1/2n^n-2 + [itex]\cdots[/itex]

Use parenthesis! I can't figure out the equation completely, but it is surely incorrect as you won't get 1n twice. The binomial expansion is given as,

[tex](a+b)^n = \binom{n}{0} a^{n}b^0 + \binom{n}{1}a^{n-1}b^1 + \binom{n}{2}a^{n-2}b^2 + ...[/tex]

Keeping in mind what LCKurtz said, what do you get if you put a=1, b=n, and n=n in the above equation?

Also, did you check out the link in my previous post??

[itex]\frac{n!}{0!(n-0)!}[/itex]1[itex]^{n}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n!}{(n!)(n-n)!}[/itex]n[itex]^{n}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!(n-(n-1))}[/itex]n[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{n!}{(n-2)!(n-(n-2))}[/itex]n[itex]^{n-2}[/itex] + [itex]\cdots[/itex]

= 1 + n[itex]^{n}[/itex] + and this is where I get stuck

Am I on the right path by the way in solving the orginal problem?

fireychariot said:
[itex]\frac{n!}{0!(n-0)!}[/itex]1[itex]^{n}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n!}{(n!)(n-n)!}[/itex]n[itex]^{n}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!(n-(n-1))}[/itex]n[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{n!}{(n-2)!(n-(n-2))}[/itex]n[itex]^{n-2}[/itex] + [itex]\cdots[/itex]

= (1 + n)[itex]^{n}[/itex] + and this is where I get stuck

Yes, that's correct, and probably what you are looking for.

fireychariot said:

= 1 + n[itex]^{n}[/itex] + and this is where I get stuck

What would the coefficients of n-1 and n-2 be then?

fireychariot said:
What would the coefficients of n-1 and n-2 be then?

You mean the coefficients of nn-1?

From your previous post..

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!(n-(n-1))!}n^{n-1}[/tex]

Yes that's correct many thanks

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to any power.

2. How is the binomial theorem used to prove equations?

The binomial theorem is used to prove equations by providing a systematic way to expand a binomial expression and simplify it into a polynomial form.

3. What is the significance of the binomial theorem in mathematics?

The binomial theorem is significant in mathematics because it allows us to easily solve and prove equations involving binomial expressions, which are commonly found in many mathematical concepts and applications.

4. Can the binomial theorem be used to prove equations with more than two terms?

No, the binomial theorem can only be used to expand and prove equations with two terms, also known as binomials. For equations with more than two terms, we use the multinomial theorem.

5. How is the binomial theorem related to the Pascal's triangle?

The coefficients in the expanded form of a binomial expression using the binomial theorem can be found in the corresponding row of Pascal's triangle. This triangle is a visual representation of the coefficients in the binomial expansion and can be used to easily find the coefficients for any given power.