Solve the Binomial Theorem: Find a, b, n

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors. This means finding all the prime numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number. For example, the prime factorization of 12 is 2 x 2 x 3.
six789
anyone could help me with this question...
in the expansion of (ax + by)^n, the coeffiients of the first 3 are 6561, 34992, and 81648., Find the value if a, b, and n.

i did this...
t1 = nC0 (ax)^n = 6561x^n
a^n = 6561

t2 = nC1 (ax)^n-1 (by)^1 = 34992x^n-1y
bna^n = 34992

but I'm not sure what to do next... and the rest

Physics news on Phys.org
bna^n = 34992
Double check this equation. It's close but it's wrong. The next thing to do should be obvious. They've given you the first 3 coefficients, and you've used 2 of them to find equations involving a, b, and n. As an extra hint, knowing (or rather assuming, but it seems implied) that a, b, and n are natural numbers, there are only four possibilities for the pair (a,n) given that an = 6561. You can find these possibilities if you find the prime factorization of 6561, it has a particularly nice one. One of these possibilities is (6561, 1), but you can eliminate this one immediately since it implies that n=1, but if this were the case, (ax + by)n would not even have 3 terms, but you're given the first 3 coefficients so it certainly has at least 3 terms. You're left with three possibilities. Sub one of them into your second equation and solve for b. When you find your third equation, see if you can sub in the a, b, and n that you now know in the left side, and see if it equals the right side. If it doesn't work, then eliminate that possibility, and you'll only have two left. Solve by process of elimination.

Actually, you don't need to look at the prime factorization if you just do the algebra and solve the equations, I think.

EDIT: Yes, it's all just algebra. Make the right substitutions and solve the equations.

Last edited:
The prime factorization of all three coefficients makes it quite simple once you've got the three equations.

Since you have three equations for the three unknown numbers, a, b, n, it isn't absolutely necessary that the numbers be integers, but it happens that the are and, as Shmoe says, prime factorization of the first number, at least, makes this problem very easy.

guys, is it like this...?
for t2 = nC1 (ax)^n-1 (by)^1 = 34992x^n-1y
bna^n-1 = 34992

a^n = 6561
a^n = 3^8
therefore the answer for n = 8 and for a = 3, so you just have to find the b. but the second equation is bna^n-1 = 34992, so ill just substitute the values that i found...
it is like this...
bna^n-1 = 34992
b(8)(3)^8-1 = 34992
b = 2.

does my work lokks right now? anyone please check my mistake.

bna^n-1 = 34992

a^n = 6561
a^n = 3^8
therefore the answer for n = 8 and for a = 3, so you just have to find the b. but the second equation is bna^n-1 = 34992, so ill just substitute the values that i found...
it is like this...
bna^n-1 = 34992
b(8)(3)^8-1 = 34992
b = 2.

does my work looks right now? anyone please check my mistake.

six789 said:
bna^n-1 = 34992
This is the correct equation. You still need to produce a third equation using the third coefficient. Why haven't you?
a^n = 6561
a^n = 3^8
therefore the answer for n = 8 and for a = 3,
This is improper reasoning. Note that 38 = 94 = 81² = 65611 = 18.720754...³ so how do you know it's not one of these possibilities?

is the thrid equation this...
b^2 n a^n-2 = 81,648

anyways, why do u need to find the third equation, since you have the two?

six789 said:
is the thrid equation this...
b^2 n a^n-2 = 81,648

close, but check it again.

six789 said:
anyways, why do u need to find the third equation, since you have the two?

a^n=3^8 does not mean n=8 and a=3 (read AKG's last post again) so you'll need more information.

I should have mentioned in my last post that the prime factorizations make it very easy under the assumption a,b, n are integers. If you don't know this before hand, then some algebra is probably the best way to go.

Last edited:
As has been pointed out, the fact that an= 38 doesn't mean that a has to be 3 or that n has to be 8. However, if I were doing this problem my self, I would certainly notice and say "Aha, I wonder if that works!" You can use the second equation to find be assuming that a= 3 and n= 8. Then use the third equation to check to see if those values work.

What Halls of Ivy says is right, but I don't think you can know a priori that just because one solution works that it is the only solution. That method will give you a solution, but will it tell you that there are no more? Again, if you solve it algebraically, you will find all solutions, and moreover you will not have to test any cases, or assume things are integers, etc.

anyone guys, is the third equation b^2 2n a^n-2 = 81,648?

Last edited:
six789 said:
anyone guys, is the third equation b^2 2n a^n-2 = 81,648?
No, why '2n'?
It should read:
[tex]\frac{n(n - 1)}{2!} a ^ {n - 2} b ^ 2 = 81648[/tex].
You should read the book again, to make sure that you understand everything. :wink:

thanks vietdao again for helping me out...

do u know wat is prime factorization?

What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is often used in algebra and calculus to simplify equations and solve problems.

What are the variables a, b, and n in the Binomial Theorem?

In the Binomial Theorem, a and b represent the coefficients or numerical values of the terms in the binomial expression. N represents the power or exponent to which the binomial is raised.

How do you solve the Binomial Theorem?

To solve the Binomial Theorem, you can use the formula (a + b)^n = ∑(nCr)a^(n-r)b^r, where nCr represents the combination or binomial coefficient of n and r. You can also use Pascal's Triangle to find the coefficients and then multiply them with the appropriate powers of a and b.

What are some real-life applications of the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is used in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It can be applied to calculate probabilities, determine the growth rate of a population, and model the behavior of particles in a gas. It is also used in financial mathematics to calculate compound interest and in computer science to optimize algorithms.

What are some common mistakes people make when using the Binomial Theorem?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct exponent when expanding the binomial expression. It is also important to correctly identify the coefficients and powers of a and b. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, such as using the FOIL method instead of the Binomial Theorem. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check the calculations to avoid errors.