Solve Binomial Theorem Problem: a+2b+4c=10^30

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the number of nonnegative integer solutions to a+2b+4c=10^30 and using the Binomial Theorem to simplify the equation. The original poster is unsure of how to use the theorem and asks for help, while another poster explains how to find the coefficient of 10^30 using a CAS.
saubbie

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the number of nonnegative integer solutions to a+2b+4c=10^30. I found a generating function, and need to check the coefficient of 10^30.

Homework Equations

The generating function is 1/((1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^4)). I found the PFD, which is -1/(8(x-1)^3) + 1/(4(x-1)^2) - 9/(32(x-1)) + 1/(16(1+x)^2) + 5/(32(1+x)) + (1+x)/(8(1+x^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to simplify this into an equation using the Binomial Theorem. In class, we related each individual fraction to a series of some sort, or a combination and then combined them all into one equation, but I do not understand it at all. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know how to use the binomial theorem in this case right? Expand each of those fractions as a formal power series. Since the exponent is negative, they expand according to

[tex] (1-x)^{-k} = \displaystyle \sum_{n \geq 0} {{n+k-1} \choose {n}} x^n [/tex]

then in order to find the coefficient of [itex] x^m [/itex] (which I will denote [itex] \left[ x^m \right] [/itex]) you need to find [itex] \left[ x^m \right] [/itex] for each individual fraction and then add them up. Think of each fraction as a power series that you're adding, then [itex] \left[ x^m \right] [/itex] will just be the coefficient when you add like terms.

This is going to be a long and disgusting process, but it's entirely doable.

Edit: I think I made a mistake in my original post. My other way just ended up simplifying to the original problem because the exponent of the power series expansion in each case was only 1. It's best just to do it the long way above.

Last edited:
Using a CAS, I found the coefficient of [itex] 10^{30} [/itex] to be 62500000000000000000000000000500000000000000000000000000001

Last edited:

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows you to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is typically written as (a+b)^n, where a and b are the binomial terms and n is the power.

2. How do you solve a Binomial Theorem problem?

To solve a Binomial Theorem problem, you must first identify the values for the terms a, b, and n. Then, you can use the formula (a+b)^n to expand the expression. Finally, combine like terms to simplify the expression and find the solution.

3. What is the purpose of the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is used to simplify and expand binomial expressions, which are commonly used in algebra and calculus. It allows for easier calculation of complex expressions and can be applied to solve various mathematical problems.

4. How is the Binomial Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Binomial Theorem has various applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict patterns in data, calculate probabilities, and solve problems involving multiple variables.

5. Can the Binomial Theorem be applied to expressions with more than two terms?

No, the Binomial Theorem can only be applied to expressions with two terms (binomials). However, the Multinomial Theorem can be used to expand expressions with more than two terms (multinomials).