1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Theorem?

1. Dec 25, 2008 #1
    Rudin's proof of lim n-> inf (p^(1/n)) = 1

1+n*x_n <= (1 + x_n)^n = o

I don't see it from the binomial theorem, which is what he says that is from.

He also does things with the binomial theorem like:

(1+x_n)^n >= ((n(n-1)) / 2) *x_n^2

I'm not sure what he did to get these two inequalities.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2008 #2

Vid

Those are terms in the expansion given by the binomial theorem. Since there are more terms in the actual expansion, it's an inequality.

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1+ n*x_n <= (1+ x_n)^n- o perhaps, not "= o". (1+ x_n)^n, by the binomial theorem that you mention in your title, says that (1+ x_n)^n= 1+ n x_n+ terms of higher order in x_n which will go to 0 as x_n goes to 0: o(x_n) or "small o". Assuming that x_n is positive, all those missing terms in the binomial expansion are positive and so the first two terms are less than or equal to the whole thing.

n(n-1)/2 is the second binomial coefficient nC2= n!(2!(n-2)!)= n(n-1)/2. (1+ x_n)^n= 1+ n x_n+ (n(n-2)/2) x_n^2+ higher terms. Again, assuming that x_n is positive, the 'whole thing' is greater than or equal to just one term.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. Dec 26, 2008 #4
    Thanks. I feel pretty stupid lol, but its been a while since ive seen that thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?