Calculating Orthogonality of Binormal Vector with Dot Product

In summary, to show that the binormal vector is orthogonal to the tangent and normal vector, you can use the fact that the dot product of any two vectors in the determinant form is equal to the determinant of the vectors in rows. Using this, we can see that the dot product of the binormal vector with either the tangent or normal vector will result in a determinant with two identical rows, resulting in a value of 0. This shows that the binormal vector is perpendicular to both the tangent and normal vector.
ronaldor9
How can I show that the binormal vector is orthogonal to the tangent and normal vector. I know i should use the dot product to determine this, however i do i actually go about doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if T is the tangent vector, N the normal to T, and B=TxN (cross product of the two), then you should use the fact that a*(bxc)=det[a,b,c] where * is the dot product.
I.e it equals the determinant of the vectors (in rows) a,b and c.

ronaldor9 said:
How can I show that the binormal vector is orthogonal to the tangent and normal vector.
Isn't that (most of) the definition of the binormal vector?

Maybe you're using a different exposition than I would expect -- what definition of "binormal vector" is your class using?

this was a problem in a my book. MathematicalPhysicist, that is what i want to do however is there a way to show it is perpendicular without any specific values for the components of the vector?

If you follow the reasoning of Mathematical Physicist, when you take the dot product of either the normal or tangent vector with the binormal, the determinant in question has two identical rows, so that its value is 0.

What is the definition of "orthogonality"?

Orthogonality refers to the relationship between two vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning that they form a 90 degree angle at their intersection.

What is the binormal vector?

The binormal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to both the tangent vector and the normal vector of a curve or surface at a specific point. It is commonly used in the study of curves and surfaces in mathematics and physics.

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding those products together.

How is the orthogonality of binormal vector calculated using the dot product?

The orthogonality of a binormal vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the binormal vector with the normal vector. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the two vectors are orthogonal and the binormal vector is perpendicular to the normal vector.

Why is calculating the orthogonality of binormal vector important?

Calculating the orthogonality of binormal vector is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in the study of curves and surfaces, computer graphics, and physics. It helps to determine the orientation and relationship between different vectors, which is crucial in many applications.