Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binormal vector

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    How can I show that the binormal vector is orthogonal to the tangent and normal vector. I know i should use the dot product to determine this, however i do i actually go about doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well, if T is the tangent vector, N the normal to T, and B=TxN (cross product of the two), then you should use the fact that a*(bxc)=det[a,b,c] where * is the dot product.
    I.e it equals the determinant of the vectors (in rows) a,b and c.

4. May 17, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that (most of) the definition of the binormal vector?

Maybe you're using a different exposition than I would expect -- what definition of "binormal vector" is your class using?

5. May 17, 2009 #4
    this was a problem in a my book. MathematicalPhysicist, that is what i want to do however is there a way to show it is perpendicular without any specific values for the components of the vector?

6. May 17, 2009 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you follow the reasoning of Mathematical Physicist, when you take the dot product of either the normal or tangent vector with the binormal, the determinant in question has two identical rows, so that its value is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook