Bioethanol & Water Mixing: Solve Separation Problem

In summary, the conversation was about a project involving the production of bio ethanol and adding water in a 60:40 ratio without separation. However, the speaker experienced separation and asked for advice on how to prevent it. The expert suggested checking the purity and density of the ethanol, as pure ethanol and water are completely miscible and do not separate. The expert also advised accurately measuring the volume and calculating the density to verify the purity of the ethanol.
Emmanuel74
I have been on a project for awhile now and it has to do with production of bio ethanol production from biomass,and also how to add water in ratio 60:40. i.e ethanol will be 60% while water will be 40% without separating. I have tried to mix water with ethanol in this ratio but it keeps separating after awhile. What can I do to stop the separation?
Please kindly advice on what to do. Thank you .

Biology news on Phys.org
Ethanol is completely miscible with water, meaning that you can mix them in any proportion and form a homogeneous solution. Are you sure that your ethanol is pure and does not have any contaminants that may be separating out? For example, have you checked the density of your ethanol?

Likes Emmanuel74
Something is not right, as @Ygggdrasil is trying to point out. Ethanol and water always mix, no exceptions. No separations. So, what you have cannot be pure ethanol. There lots of alcohols ( and other partially miscible polyols ) that do not mix completely with water. As above, a density check can verify that what you have is something else. In other words is not pure. The density is easy to derive. Weigh a carefully measured volume. Calculate the density as

##D=\frac{\text {mass}}{\text{volume}}##

Ethanol is .7892 g/ml so accurately weigh (correct to mg) a precise liter of the putative ethanol.

Likes Emmanuel74
Thank you very much for all your answer. I will definitely do my checking correctly to know where the problem comes from. Thank you very much, am so grateful.

I have been on a project for awhile now and it has to do with production of bio ethanol production from biomass,and also how to add water in ratio 60:40. i.e ethanol will be 60% while water will be 40% without separating. I have tried to mix water with ethanol in this ratio but it keeps separating after awhile. What can I do to stop the separation?
Please kindly advice on what to do. Thank you .
jim mcnamara said:
Something is not right, as @Ygggdrasil is trying to point out. Ethanol and water always mix, no exceptions. No separations. So, what you have cannot be pure ethanol. There lots of alcohols ( and other partially miscible polyols ) that do not mix completely with water. As above, a density check can verify that what you have is something else. In other words is not pure. The density is easy to derive. Weigh a carefully measured volume. Calculate the density as

Ethanol is .7892 g/ml so accurately weigh (correct to mg) a precise liter of the putative ethanol.

jim mcnamara said:

Thank you very much for your response.

1. What is bioethanol?

Bioethanol is a type of renewable fuel that is produced by fermenting sugars and starches from plants such as corn, sugarcane, or switchgrass.

2. How is bioethanol used?

Bioethanol is primarily used as a transportation fuel in blends with gasoline, but it can also be used as a cooking fuel or in industrial processes.

3. What is the problem with mixing bioethanol and water?

The main problem with mixing bioethanol and water is that they are not completely miscible, meaning they do not fully dissolve into each other. This can lead to separation of the two liquids, which can cause issues in storage and transportation.

4. How can the separation problem be solved?

The separation problem can be solved by using chemical additives or physical processes such as distillation or dehydration to remove excess water from the bioethanol mixture. This ensures that the fuel meets the necessary purity standards for use.

5. Is bioethanol and water mixing safe for the environment?

When produced sustainably, bioethanol is considered a greener alternative to fossil fuels as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions. However, proper handling and disposal of any fuel mixture, including bioethanol and water, is important to prevent potential environmental harm.