1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bio-Gel P2, cut off 2.000 daltons?

1. Oct 2, 2004 #1
    hello everybody!

what does it mean when a gel you use in gel filtration has a "cut off 2.000 daltons" ? i have looked for the answer, but can't find it.

hopes for replies!

many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means that the filter will only let particle lower than (more or less) 2 dalton to pass through. Anything higher than 2 dalton will not pass.

4. Oct 2, 2004 #3
    hi Ian!

thanks for your reply, but i still don't get it. our protein (which we has to isolate) has a MW 15kDa. before we running the sample on a gel filtration, we concentrated the sample using a ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa. as you said components at this MW or less will go through, but higher MW won't pass. then how come i concentrate my protein, when it does not pass through? :confused:

p.s "to pass through" do you mean passing through the gel's pores?

thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  5. Oct 2, 2004 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you the utrafree to you add buffer to the filter or do you take the supernantant. If you add buffer/liquid to colum then the your protein did not pass the cut off.

6. Oct 2, 2004 #5
    well we added our sample to this kit...

by the way is this ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa a gel or just a paper filter? a weird question since i did take the course! :grumpy:

7. Oct 2, 2004 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Oct 3, 2004 #7
    thanks, Ian!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?