Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bio-Gel P2, cut off 2.000 daltons?

1. Oct 2, 2004 #1
    hello everybody!

what does it mean when a gel you use in gel filtration has a "cut off 2.000 daltons" ? i have looked for the answer, but can't find it.

hopes for replies!

many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means that the filter will only let particle lower than (more or less) 2 dalton to pass through. Anything higher than 2 dalton will not pass.

4. Oct 2, 2004 #3
    hi Ian!

thanks for your reply, but i still don't get it. our protein (which we has to isolate) has a MW 15kDa. before we running the sample on a gel filtration, we concentrated the sample using a ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa. as you said components at this MW or less will go through, but higher MW won't pass. then how come i concentrate my protein, when it does not pass through? :confused:

p.s "to pass through" do you mean passing through the gel's pores?

thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  5. Oct 2, 2004 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you the utrafree to you add buffer to the filter or do you take the supernantant. If you add buffer/liquid to colum then the your protein did not pass the cut off.

6. Oct 2, 2004 #5
    well we added our sample to this kit...

by the way is this ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa a gel or just a paper filter? a weird question since i did take the course! :grumpy:

7. Oct 2, 2004 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Oct 3, 2004 #7
    thanks, Ian!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?