Bio Lab homework: Water Parameter Identification Chart

In summary, the G tank has the lowest PPM of O2, B tank has a reading out of line with expected PH, D tank has a reading out of line with expected temperature, and F tank has conditions that do not line up with expected results for CO2 and PH. The parameter for Night (P&F) would depend on the specific experiment.
Heisenburgundy Gold

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-31_14-12-5.png

Fill-in with the correct tank letter or the condition (eg. PPM of O2) Refer to above Chart A:

__1. Which tank contained the lowest PPM of Oxygen?
__2. Which of the 4 abiotic conditions(02, C02, PH, or Temperature) is most out of line in tank...A-G?
__3. Which tank has a reading out of line with expected PH?
__4. Which tank has a reading out of line with expected temperature?

2. The attempt at a solution

Did I got the answers right and if not can someone point me in the right direction?

For question 1 I got the G Tank as my answer. It has the lowest PPM of O2.

For the question 3 I have it narrowed down to B or F, but can't tell which is the right answer. B is one of my answers because I have it under the Temperature parameter and according to the chart it's PH should increase but it went down? Do I have it wrong and it is not the Temp parameter?

It could be F because according to the chart Plant and Fish with Light should have a higher PH but it went down?

Question 4 I have D as the abnormality for out of line Temperatures. According to the chart in my Lab manual it Plant with Light should have increased but in the chart above it stayed the same. All the other parameters lined up with my textbooks predictions. Of course the chart on my homework here doesn't have temps on it so I'm not to entirely sure?

Question 2 I have B or F as the answer. The B tank's conditions don't line up with its expected results in comparison to the left chart. It's Oxygen should decrease but it increases and its PH should increase but decreases instead.

The F chart is off in some areas as well: Its CO2 increases when it should be lowered and its PH should rise but lowers instead?

Also I am listing Night(P&F) under Respiration. Is that the correct parameter for it?

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_14-12-5.png
    upload_2017-10-31_14-12-5.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,503
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

For question 1, your answer of G tank having the lowest PPM of O2 is correct.

For question 3, the tank with a reading out of line with expected PH is B. According to the chart, it should have a higher PH with Plant and Fish with Light, but instead it decreased. This is most likely due to a decrease in CO2 levels, which can also affect PH.

For question 4, D tank is the correct answer. According to the chart, the temperature for Plant with Light should have increased, but it stayed the same. This could be due to a malfunction in the temperature control of the tank.

For question 2, the correct answer is F tank. Its CO2 levels and PH do not line up with the expected results for Plant and Fish with Light. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as incorrect measurement or changes in the tank's environment.

As for the parameter for Night (P&F), it would depend on the specific experiment and what you are measuring. It could fall under respiration, as the plants and fish would be undergoing cellular respiration during the night. However, it could also fall under other parameters such as oxygen levels or carbon dioxide levels. It would be best to consult your lab manual or instructor for clarification on this.

1. What is the purpose of the Water Parameter Identification Chart?

The Water Parameter Identification Chart is used to record and track various parameters of water samples in a laboratory setting. These parameters can include pH level, dissolved oxygen, temperature, and other important indicators of water quality.

2. How is the Water Parameter Identification Chart used?

The Water Parameter Identification Chart is typically used by scientists and researchers to monitor changes in water quality over time. It can also be used to compare different water sources and identify potential sources of pollution or contamination.

3. What information is typically included in the Water Parameter Identification Chart?

The Water Parameter Identification Chart usually includes columns for recording the date and time of sample collection, the location of the sample, and the various parameters being measured. It may also include notes or comments about any unusual or significant findings.

4. Why is it important to track water parameters?

Tracking water parameters allows scientists to monitor changes in water quality and identify potential issues or sources of contamination. This information can be used to inform environmental policies and regulations, as well as to protect public health and the health of aquatic ecosystems.

5. How can the Water Parameter Identification Chart be used to analyze data?

Once data has been recorded in the Water Parameter Identification Chart, it can be analyzed to identify patterns and trends. This can help scientists to better understand the health of a water source and make informed decisions about how to manage and protect it.