1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochem thermodynamics

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1
    can someone help me with this problem

8. The first step in using glucose as a source of energy is a priming reaction that
    consumes ATP:
    alpha-D-glucose + ATP4 --> alpha-D-glucose-6-phosphate2- + ADP3- + H+

What is the (delta)G°’ for this reaction if (delta)G°’ for glucose-6-phosphate
    hydrolysis is –13.9 kJ/mol and (delta)G°’ for ATP hydrolysis (in the presence
    of excess Mg2+) is –30.5 kJ/mol?

b. From this value, calculate the equilibrium constant (Keq’)for the reaction at

c. If the ratio of ATP to ADP in the cell were 11:1, what would the ratio of
    glucose to glucose-6-phosphate be?

for part A I got -16.6kJ/mol. Then using 37°C as the standard temp. I calculated the Keq to be 626.9. With that I got 0.00015 for part C. I can't figure out how to get part B though. Do I just use the -16.6kJ/mol for part B and substitute the new temperature into the equation (delta)G=-RTln(Keq)? Wouldn't the (delta)G be different at 32°C than at 37°C?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted