1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochemistry (Enzyme Kinetics)

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    The following kinetic data were obtained for an enzyme in the absence of inhibitor (trial A), and in the presence of two different inhibitors (B and C) at concentrations of 5 mM

a) Determine Vmax and Km for the enzyme (Assume [Et] is the same for each trial)

the first thing I thought to do was use the relationship that Km = when Vo= 1/2Vmax, however, after posing this question to my professor that is incorrect. I really don't know where to start so any help to get me started on the right track would be immensely appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, you need to read through the relevant chapter in your text a bit more carefully, it should describe a specific method of plotting to obtain the Vmax and Km hint: This method is probably one of the most important concepts explained within the chapter of which it is mentioned, the Vmax can be obtained from the y-intercept value of the unique plot and the x-intercept should reveal the Km.
  4. Oct 10, 2006 #3
    ah yes Lineweaver-Burk plot, thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?