1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochemistry ->Master's in mechanical engineering advice

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    Biochemistry -->Master's in mechanical engineering advice

So I am basically at a road block in my life, unsure of what I want to do and unsure of what TO do. I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry from a decent school, and most people with my major were pursuing health professions or medicine. But I realized none of that really inspires or appeals to me. I am looking to get into engineering (particularly mechanical), but I don't want to start over again and do another bachelor's. I already have a big loan debt from my first degree, and doing another bachelor's knowing that I will probably end up going to grad school later as well would be too much.

I actually applied to the BU LEAP program (accelerated engineering master's program) and got in for Fall, but unfortunately, I did not get any aid, and tuition costs would be waaaaay too much. I can not make it work at all. I'm not sure what to do now, because that was the only school I applied to, and it seems to be the only program that will allow me to transition smoothly into a master's program of ME with a non-engineering background.

I completed all the math and physics requirements already, and I really just need the UD coursework from ME. I was thinking about taking some courses at a local university or CC and then try to apply to other Master's programs in ME. Would that be a possible plan? I'm not exactly sure how schools will take it that I don't have that BS in eng degree.

Am I being realistic with this goal? I just can't do biology or research anymore, and tried to look for different outlets to get into with my background like business, but no employer will take me seriously having a biology background. My degree seems to only serve me well if I did health or medicine.

Any suggestions on making this change? or on possible career paths I could kind of transition into without having to start over? I appreciate any and all advice!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted