1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bioengineering -> applied math?

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    Bioengineering ----> applied math?

I'm a biological engineering major, minoring in math. I certainly will be looking at going to graduate school but I'm not yet sure for which field. My goal right now is to keep my options open for both for as long as possible. Lately I have been thinking about trying to double major in math but this may tack an extra year on to my undergrad studies.

My school only offers a pure math degree, therefore many of the required courses for the math degree are more proof based. Would the double major be beneficial when it comes to graduate admissions for applied math programs or would it be smarter to just take the more "applied" math classes as electives and forget the double major?

Also, is it very common for engineers to get into decent applied math graduate programs? From what I've seen on university websites it seems as if most have backgrounds in math or physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2
    Re: Bioengineering ----> applied math?

Well, in general applied math should involve proofing as well. In terms of pure math vs applied math, it shouldn't matter much whether you study applied math or pure math, it's just mainly the viewpoint and maybe the course content that's slightly different. But you need to check the curricula to see which courses you really want to study.

A formal qualification (i.e. a double major) is not more relevant than relevant courses. If you're into applied math, study applied math courses, rather than the pure math curriculum required for a double major.

If you've got the required background studies, I don't see why you couldn't. However, engineers in general don't typically go into academic scientific/technical research, which applied math graduate programs are oriented to, but rather enter the corporate world or advance their engineering studies. So that's why you're seeing people with more scientific background studies.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. Aug 9, 2012 #3
    What exactly would be included in the required background studies? Many graduate websites simply say "a strong background in mathematics." What would be useful after ODEs?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook