1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bioengineering vs Electrical Engineering

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    I will be starting my second year in biological engineering in the fall, but I am beginning to question my decision of major. I chose bioengineering because I would love to solve biological problems but was unsure of whether I wanted to go into the more tissue/materials aspect of bioengineering or the electrical/optical/prosthetics aspect. After working in a neurobiology lab this summer doing computational neuroscience work, I have become increasingly interested in neuroscience. Although I am really enjoying the somewhat theoretical work that I'm doing, I would love to get into the more applied aspects of neural engineering like brain-computer interfacing and prosthetics. I am definitely planning on going to grad school so I'll be looking into neural engineering programs... The thing is, I don't know if I will be getting enough electrical engineering exposure in my current program as it seems to be more "mechanical" in nature. Sure I can take some EE tech electives but would it just be smarter to do EE and take bioengineering electives instead? I realize that I can get into neural engineering programs with either background but which would prepare me better? Also, how might neural engineering research differ for an electrical engineer as opposed to a biological engineer?--- I know they might work on the same interdisciplinary projects but what might each specifically do? What foundational EE classes should I take to prepare myself for grad work in neural engineering?

I appreciate any advice!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted