Exploring the Relationship Between Biology and Morality in Different Cultures

• Thread starter Giantbab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: Sorry for the confusion. :) Hmm..my Latin just went to buy a pack of...um...cigarettes. Sorry for the confusion. :)
Giantbab
i have easy quesions, whatyour ideas about them ? The relations they might have
please also tell me if posble your own culture,
thanks a bunch

Biology news on Phys.org
Biology, as all science, is a tool or method for understanding. Accordingly, it is a neutral thing.
Morality comes into play in how a person chooses to pursue or to apply biology.

Biology is not just biology, its about plants, animals, nothing else.
when animals and animals fight, you will see morality

Phobos said:
Biology, as all science, is a tool or method for understanding. Accordingly, it is a neutral thing.
Morality comes into play in how a person chooses to pursue or to apply biology.
uhmm...neutral is a corret word :wink:

Giantbab said:
i have easy quesions, whatyour ideas about them ? The relations they might have
please also tell me if posble your own culture,
thanks a bunch
I think, in order to have this type of discussion, you should clearly define what you mean by morality, prior to engage in such a debate. Make sure there is some kind of common standard, so that future misconceptions and misunderstanding can be avoided from the very beginning.

Just my opinion

marlon

My theory (I won't state this like fact) is that biology influences morality to a signifacant degree. You are built by nature/God to have emotions which are a result of chemical reactions and brain processes. These emotions help shape moral behavior, for example the feelings of sadness or guilt will motivate people to not kill to help act as a detterrent and negative consequence to drive people to certain moral actions. Perhaps during early evolution thanks to the social nature of homo-sapiens and their ancestors that in order to function in this environment thay can't survive as easily while killing and cannablizing each other. It's kind of like the same way we're built with physical pain so as to avoid leaving our hand in the fire!

Agreeing with marlon:
You need to define your terms properly!

Spider females, for example, find it perfectly normal&moral to eat their mates after copulation.

arildno said:
Spider females, for example, find it perfectly normal&moral to eat their mates after copulation.
mmm sexy mmm

:rofl: :rofl:

i never like biology though (apart from the human being/anatomy), my teacher was ugly with big teeth...a real biological error...how about that for irony, right ?

marlon

My Dad was a biologist at the University..

arildno said:
My Dad was a biologist at the University..
My dad works in the psychiatry, my mum too
really, once again, no joke...

marlon

Perhaps the original poster actually needs to ask his question. I don't see a question anywhere in that post.

Moonbear said:
Perhaps the original poster actually needs to ask his question. I don't see a question anywhere in that post.
In the meantime, we can say whatever we like! :smile:

Moonbear said:
The Op is asking about the 'relation' between biology and something called morality...

marlon

arildno said:
In the meantime, we can say whatever we like! :smile:

Well, here is a biology question : what is the Latin name for you butt

the other way around, now

what is the 'patella' ?
what is the 'os clavicularis' ?
what is the 'musculus masseter' ?

No googling please

marlon

ps : Moonbear, how come you can were a cloak, hmm,? That is just annoying, you know ! You are no mentor, so you should not have that option available...arrgghh, this damned PF nepotism, sometimes it just ...me

Last edited:
marlon said:
The Op is asking about the 'relation' between biology and something called morality...

marlon
But he didn't ask that. He said:
Giantbab said:
i have easy quesions, whatyour ideas about them ?

No questions followed. No questions preceded. His question could be anything, even if we limit it to the topics of biology and morality. (Why not physics and morality, or chemistry and morality, or French literature and morality?) Morality is the stuff people make up about what's right and wrong. Biology is the study of life. Okay, I think that answers the only question I see. :biggrin:

marlon said:
ps : Moonbear, how come you can were a cloak, hmm,? That is just annoying, you know ! You are no mentor, so you should not have that option available...arrgghh, this damned PF nepotism, sometimes it just ...me
That's just one of the things that comes with contributorship. I decided I like sneaking up on people. BOO! :rofl:

marlon said:
Well, here is a biology question : what is the Latin name for you butt

the other way around, now

what is the 'patella' ?
what is the 'os clavicularis' ?
what is the 'musculus masseter' ?

No googling please

marlon

Hmm..my Latin just went to buy a pack of cigarettes, I'm afraid..

Ok, ok, ok...

Thanku, my question is what are ur ideas about that ?

I think I will take a course in biotech and this quetion may be one asked as an 1000-2000 worded essay.

Giantbab said:
Thanku, my question is what are ur ideas about that ?

I think I will take a course in biotech and this quetion may be one asked as an 1000-2000 worded essay.
About what?

arildno said:
About what?

:rofl:
well about the connection between biology and morality

marlon

marlon said:
:rofl:
well about the connection between biology and morality

marlon
There is one?

What is the relationship between biology and morality?

The relationship between biology and morality is complex and multifaceted. It is generally accepted that biology influences our moral behavior and decision-making, but the extent to which biology dictates our moral values and beliefs is still a subject of debate.

How do different cultures view the relationship between biology and morality?

Different cultures have varying beliefs and values when it comes to the relationship between biology and morality. Some cultures may place a stronger emphasis on biological factors, such as genetics, while others may prioritize cultural or societal influences on morality.

Can biology explain all aspects of morality?

No, biology alone cannot fully explain morality. While biological factors such as genetics and brain chemistry may play a role in shaping our moral behavior, cultural, social, and environmental factors also have significant influences on our moral development.

How does studying the relationship between biology and morality benefit society?

Studying the relationship between biology and morality can help us better understand human behavior and decision-making. This can have practical applications in fields such as psychology, sociology, and ethics. It can also help us bridge cultural divides and promote empathy and understanding among different groups.

What are the ethical implications of exploring the relationship between biology and morality?

There are potential ethical concerns in studying the relationship between biology and morality, such as the risk of oversimplifying complex human behavior and perpetuating harmful stereotypes. It is important for researchers to approach this topic with sensitivity and caution, and to consider the potential consequences of their findings on individuals and communities.