Biology of X-Men Movies: Iron & Health in Adults

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, in the X-Men movie, Magneto's henchman injected iron into a guard's body, which amounted to the size of a tennis ball. This could potentially be harmful to the person, as injecting foreign substances into the body is not beneficial. It was also suggested that consuming excessive amounts of iron could account for this amount, but it is not specified in the movie. The amount of iron injected was approximately 18 times more than the average adult body would have.
darkchild
On one of the X-Men movies (which sucked, by the way), the character Magneto removed an amount of iron that amounted to the size of a tennis ball from someone's body. Apparently, one of Magneto's henchmen had injected the guy with iron beforehand.

I'm curious about how realistic this is. Could someone survive or not show any signs of health problems with that much iron in their body, especially if most of it was injected all at once? Approximately how much iron do adults have in their bodies, specifically, the average 40 year-old guy on a typical American diet? Would an injection like that do more harm than good to an iron-deficient adult?

Biology news on Phys.org
Injecting foreign things into a body never really does them any good. I would expect that is you were injected with a solution containing iron, it would probably upset the water potential in your veins and lead to dehydration or cells bursting, I'm not sure which way the water would flow. Iron inserted below the skin among cells however, would probably be fine as long as it wasn't contaminated. The body would attack it at first and then give up and leave it be.

Injecting some sort of metallic solution into a person's veins would not be a good thing. A Google search for "toxicity of metal solutions" turns up a large number of hits. It would have been easier in the movie to just shove a tube down his throat and pour in BBs. They would have little effect on the body and just pass right through.

Last edited:
I don't think it was injected, I think his diet was just highly sumplemented. I don't remember it specifying though. The question is whether someone could consume enough iron over a period of time to account for a tennis ball amount of magnetic material.

Pythagorean said:
I don't think it was injected, I think his diet was just highly sumplemented. I don't remember it specifying though. The question is whether someone could consume enough iron over a period of time to account for a tennis ball amount of magnetic material.

It was injected. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X2_%28film%29" .

Impersonating Senator Robert Kelly and Yuriko, Mystique gains information about Magneto's prison and provides a means for him to escape by injecting iron into a guard's bloodstream.

From what I remeber, she spiked the guard's drink and lured him into the bathroom where he passed out. Then she injected him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I calculate that a tennis ball-sized globe of iron would mass about
4/3*pi*(6.7 cm/2)^3 * 7.874 grams/cm^3 = 1.24 kg, and that a 200-pound person would have about
200 lbs * 0.0007 = 0.063 kg
so that the amount of iron would need to be increased about 18-fold over normal levels.

1. What is the connection between Iron and Health in adults in X-Men movies?

In the X-Men movies, the character known as Iron Man has a suit that is powered by a high-tech element called the Arc Reactor. This element, which is a fictional version of Iron, provides him with energy and keeps him healthy. In real life, Iron is a vital mineral that is necessary for the production of red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body. Without enough Iron, a person can experience health issues such as anemia, fatigue, and weakened immune system.

2. How does Iron affect the mutant characters in X-Men movies?

In the X-Men universe, mutants have superhuman abilities due to a genetic mutation. However, this mutation also affects their bodies' ability to absorb and utilize nutrients, including Iron. Some mutants may have a higher need for Iron due to their abilities, while others may have difficulty absorbing it. This can lead to various health issues, which are often portrayed in the X-Men movies.

3. Are there any real-life applications of the Iron-Health concept in X-Men movies?

While the concept of Iron being essential for health is accurate, the specific application in the X-Men movies is fictional. However, Iron deficiency is a real health concern that affects millions of people worldwide. It is crucial to maintain adequate Iron levels through a balanced diet or supplements to prevent health issues.

4. Can Iron be used as a source of superpowers like in X-Men movies?

No, Iron cannot be used as a source of superpowers. While Iron is essential for overall health, it does not have any special abilities that could give someone superpowers. The concept of Iron providing superpowers in the X-Men movies is purely fictional and not supported by scientific evidence.

5. Is there any scientific basis for the role of Iron in X-Men movies?

While the specific application of Iron in the X-Men movies is fictional, there is a scientific basis for the importance of Iron in human health. Iron is a crucial mineral that plays a vital role in various bodily functions, including oxygen transport, energy production, and immune function. Without enough Iron, a person can experience health issues, making it a crucial element for overall health and well-being.