Biology - Follicle Development (or lack of) During Pregnancy?

• Thread starter 811 trolley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the decline in FSH production and the inhibitory effects of progesterone are what prevent the further development of new follicles in the ovary.
811 trolley
Okay, so I'm doing these 'perception check' sheets that my bio teacher assigned for us about the female reproductive system & pregnancy. I haven't had much trouble until this question. I have an idea about what the answer is, but I would like to double check it with some of you!

Question: "Explain how further development of new follicles in the ovary is inhibited."

I'm assuming it has to do with the decline in the production of follicle-stimulating hormones (FSH). GnRH activates the pituitary gland (posterior, right?) which releases FSH and LH. FSH goes to the ovary by the blood and then follicle development is stimulated. The follicles then secrete estrogen, which initiates the development of the endometrium. As the levels of estrogen rise, a negative feedback 'message' is sent to the pituitary gland to 'turn off' secretions of FSH. This is the follicular phase, then ovulation occurs, then remaining follicular cells turn into corpus luteum because of LH. The corpus luteum then secretes estrogen and progesterone, and it goes on.
But what prevents new follicles from growing? Is it just the stop in production of FSH? Or is there more?

Help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the stop in production of FSH is what inhibits further development of new follicles in the ovary. The decrease in FSH levels will cause follicles that have not yet reached maturity to degenerate, preventing further development of new follicles. Additionally, the corpus luteum (which is formed from the remains of the ruptured follicle) secretes progesterone, which has an inhibitory effect on the release of gonadotropins (FSH and LH) and therefore prevents further follicle maturation.

I can confirm that your understanding of follicle development and its inhibition during pregnancy is mostly correct. The production of FSH is indeed inhibited during pregnancy due to the negative feedback mechanism caused by rising estrogen levels. This prevents new follicles from developing. Additionally, the high levels of progesterone produced by the corpus luteum also play a role in inhibiting FSH production and therefore, follicle development. This is important because during pregnancy, the body focuses on maintaining the existing pregnancy rather than producing new eggs for potential fertilization. I hope this helps clarify any doubts you may have had.

1. How does follicle development occur during pregnancy?

Follicle development during pregnancy is a complex process that involves the activation and growth of ovarian follicles. These follicles contain eggs that will eventually be released during ovulation. The process is regulated by hormones such as estrogen and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).

2. Can follicle development be affected by pregnancy?

Yes, pregnancy can affect follicle development in several ways. The hormones released during pregnancy can stimulate the growth of follicles, leading to multiple ovulations and the potential for multiple pregnancies. However, certain conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) can also cause disruptions in follicle development during pregnancy.

3. What happens to follicle development during the different stages of pregnancy?

During the first trimester, follicle development slows down due to the presence of high levels of progesterone and estrogen. This helps to prevent ovulation and maintain the pregnancy. In the second and third trimesters, follicle development remains suppressed until after childbirth, when it can resume its normal process.

4. Can a lack of follicle development during pregnancy affect the health of the baby?

In most cases, a lack of follicle development during pregnancy is not a cause for concern. The body naturally suppresses follicle development during this time to support the growing fetus. However, if there is a significant decrease in follicle development, it may indicate a hormonal imbalance or other underlying health issue that could affect the health of the baby.

5. Are there any ways to stimulate follicle development during pregnancy?

It is not recommended to stimulate follicle development during pregnancy as it can lead to complications such as multiple pregnancies or premature labor. If there are concerns about follicle development, it is best to consult with a healthcare provider for proper evaluation and treatment.