Burning Nuts: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter Roxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuts
In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving burning nuts and the questions asked about the process. The summary includes information about the composition of nut oil and why nuts contain more energy compared to carbohydrates and proteins. It also briefly discusses the differences in energy release between fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.
Roxy
We did this experiment where we had to burn nuts. And I did not get these questions, can someone help me with them?

1) What part of the nut is burned? (is it the fat part??)
2) What is nut oil composed of?? (is it fat??)
3) Why does "nut" contain more energy than carbs or protein?? (?)

Biology news on Phys.org
What is the energy/dietary content of your type of nuts? What is the maine ingredient for energy.

As for oil content, it is basicly Carbon and hydrogen and the number of carbon will have an impact on the potential energy of the molecule.

What is the energy/dietary content of your type of nuts?
695 kcal/100g??
What is the maine ingredient for energy.
fat, oil?

Roxy said:
What is the energy/dietary content of your type of nuts?

I was talking more in the line of the follwing

Walnuts
Protein 17.148 g
Total lipid (74.244 g
Carbohydrate 22.008 g
Fiber 5.760 g

http://www.moondragon.org/nutrition/foodguide/nutwalnut.html [Broken]

That give you what part could be burned.

Roxy said:
What is nut oil composed of

Satured fatty acid, unsaturated, cholesterol, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I got it now. Thank You :)

Roxy said:
We did this experiment where we had to burn nuts. And I did not get these questions, can someone help me with them?

1) What part of the nut is burned? (is it the fat part??)
2) What is nut oil composed of?? (is it fat??)
3) Why does "nut" contain more energy than carbs or protein?? (?)

Yep the oil is fat ( or triglycerides).

The nut "contains" more energy (releases more energy) because chemically, it has the most potential to create C=O bonds (carbon double bond to oxygen) in [tex]CO_2[/tex], which releases the most energy (exothermic).
This process in oxidation.
Carbohydrates are already partially oxidised, because they already contain many -OH bonds (have a look at the molecular structure of, say, glucose), so they don't release as much energy as fats.

endeavour said:
Yep the oil is fat ( or triglycerides).

The nut "contains" more energy (releases more energy) because chemically, it has the most potential to create C=O bonds (carbon double bond to oxygen) in [tex]CO_2[/tex], which releases the most energy (exothermic).
This process in oxidation.
Carbohydrates are already partially oxidised, because they already contain many -OH bonds (have a look at the molecular structure of, say, glucose), so they don't release as much energy as fats.

Do priteins also contain -OH bonds ??
Thanks

Roxy said:
Do priteins also contain -OH bonds ??
Thanks
I see where you're coming from.
But actually proteins don't really. Fats release more energy (39.4 kJ/g) than proteins (17.9 kJ/g) and carbohydrates (15.8kJ/g) - they have very long chains of -C-H bonds and have more potential to make CO2 (and H2O. as oxidation produces water and carbon dioxide) as I mentioned above. In my posts I should've add a bit more detail and mentioned that the carbohydrates bonds are -C-O-H bonds (ie they have some CH bonds too, but they are partially oxidised). Proteins have a few -C-H bonds in comparison to fats.

*data was from my biology book, and as you can see carbohydrates and proteins are actually similar in releasing energy.

What are burning nuts?

Burning nuts refer to nuts that have been roasted or cooked at high temperatures, resulting in a charred or burnt appearance and flavor.

Why are nuts burned?

Nuts are often burned to enhance their flavor and texture. Roasting or cooking at high temperatures can bring out the natural oils and flavors in nuts, making them more delicious and crunchy.

Are burning nuts safe to eat?

Yes, burning nuts are safe to eat. However, consuming large amounts of burnt nuts may increase the risk of exposure to acrylamide, a chemical that forms when starchy foods are cooked at high temperatures. It is recommended to consume burnt nuts in moderation.

Can burning nuts be harmful to your health?

As mentioned earlier, consuming large amounts of burnt nuts may increase the risk of exposure to acrylamide. Some studies have also suggested that the high heat used to roast nuts may alter their nutritional content. However, the health effects of eating burning nuts are still being studied and are not yet conclusive.

Can you burn nuts at home?

Yes, you can burn nuts at home by roasting them in the oven or on the stovetop. It is important to keep an eye on the nuts while they are cooking to prevent them from burning too much. You can also adjust the temperature and cooking time to control the level of burning on the nuts.