1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Lab Microscope

Tags:
  1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To examine a particular blood sample in biology lab, a student uses a compound microscope set to have a magnification of -4530. The objective and eyepiece are both attached to a tube which is 18 cm in length and the eyepiece has a focal length of 2.62 cm. The near point of the person using the microscope is 24 and you can assume she can view the image produced with a fully relaxed eye.

a) What is the focal length of the objective?

b) What is the distance between the blood sample and the objective lens?

2. Relevant equations
    Mobjective = -di/do = - di/ fobjective

Meyepiece = N/feyepiece

Mtotal = Mobjective*Meyepiece

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried using these equations...but they didnt work out for me.. unless im using the wrong equation... i got them equation from compound microscope section of a book

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2
    The equations you have are right; you just have to do some substitution. Starting with your most general/biggest one, Mtotal = Mobjective*Meyepiece, sub in the equations that you have for the Mobjective and Meyepiece. Then, plug in the values given by the problem. You will also need to remember that L(length) = fobjective + feyepiece where the f=focal length. Hope this helps! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook