1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology on cells structures etc

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The maximum size to which a cell may grow is limited by the cell's ?

2. Relevant equations

NIL

3. The attempt at a solution

It's a multiple-choice question... so i picked nucleus. My argument is that the nucleus controls the internal functions of the cell. However, according to the answers, it is cell surface membrane. Any reasons? Thanks a million in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    This sounds like one of those questions where the answer depends of your frame of mind.

In your view, you have correctly stated that the nucleus limits the size a cell can grow to because it controls growth and everything like that. And that answer is perfectly acceptable in a biological way.

But, I can see why the cell membrane is stated as the answer - simply, if the cell tries to grow larger than it, it breaks and the cell dies. So yes, the cell membrane limits how large the cell can grow, but it is the nucleus which limits how large the membrane can be.

I wouldn't worry about this question, its just one of those crazy ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook