1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology - Osmosis?

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    We have been workinging lately with osmosis, and we recently did a lab. It involved putting a piece of celery into different petri dishes, which had different solutions. Distilled water with salt, from 0 g/mL to 2. The less salt in the solution, the celery grew, and then at 1.2 it startes to shrink. A conclusion question we have to answer asks us why grocery store owners spray fresh fruits and vegetables with water. I always thought it was just to keep them fresh. But there must be something to do with the lab, and possibly osmosis. I have looked at many different sources for possible answers, and cannot figure it out. Help please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Spraying with water does keep vegetables 'fresh', but I believe that has more to do with reducing the evaporation of the water (dehydration) in the vegetables, which is the reason to spray with water, but also keeping them refrigerated.
  4. Sep 21, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried some online search engines? (Hint: key words; osmosis celery)

One measure of freshness in vegetables, is "turgor pressure" within the tissue. You have manipulated the tugor pressure by placing the celery in salt solutions of varying concentration all the way down to 0% (distilled water). So now you another key word you might search on "turgor".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?