1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology problem

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please look at the pictured question below, I really have no idea how to solve the question. Thanks

4ef4caa5bd98.jpg

and

a02ba395d58f.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

there is no information about how the number of chromosomes related to the body part in my textbook so i have no idea for the question no.6

Actually i have no direction and idea at all about question no 6 and no 7

I hope someone would help THanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is the difference between diploid and haploid cell? And which cells are haploid?

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    Chromosomes exists in pairs. Diploid is the cell where chromosomes exists in pairs while Haploid is the cell where chromosomes exists as single. Am I right?

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4

Borek

OK so far, now the second - which cells are haploid?

(Note: there are hints in the wording of the second problem).

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    sperm cell and egg cell (ovum) are haploid

but for the question 6 , i still not yet understand

i am actually not a student but it's for my kids, i learnt some biology many years ago but not very sophisticated, please let me know the answers with explanation and i ll explain to she, Thanks

7. Jan 9, 2013 #6

Borek

But that's enough, now treat it is a simple brain teaser. P & Q are cells from the same organism, one of them is haploid, so it has to be either sperm or ovum - which answers fit?

8. Jan 10, 2013 #7
    oh oh oh oh

i am clear and i know what's happening now.

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook