1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Question

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Q. A recent study of the mouse-ear plant Arabidopsis thaliana found that 44.9% of the DNA nucleotides within genes are either C or G (cytosine or guanine), but those same two bases represent only 37.6% of the nucleotides in the regions between genes. Clearly explain why chromosomal regions that do not code for proteins might experience natural selection for reducing the number of C and G nucleotides. Then propose a specific, testable evolutionary hypothesis for why regions that do code for proteins might have a greater number of C and G nucleotides.

I don't really understand what my teacher wants me to say here. This is for my freshman biology class. It's strange because I've taken Bio before in high school, but this seems a bit awkward to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna try and work this one out as well as a few others.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

bel

Your professor wants you to explain why is it that the G and C nucleotides appear more frequently in coding regions than non-coding regions of the DNA molecule in arabidopsis thaliana and then propose an experiment to test your explanation.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to get you started

For the gene/coding region, think of the elements that are at play during translation. The phenomenon is also well documented and doing some web search may yield some answer.

For non-coding region, think of the elements that are required for regulation of expression.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?